Author Topic: Vashti Nash b. abt 1817  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Vashti Nash b. abt 1817
« on: Saturday 31 August 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have one of these real dilemmas where a number of family members over the years have looked at this issue and have not come to any answers. But there is in addition to this.

Vashti Nash said to be born in 1817 Echilhampton, Wiltshire. The only evidence that we have is in the census but even this varies in different census. Vashti married a John Merrett 21 Nov 1838 in Devizes. Vashti was the daughter of a James and Christian Nash.

In a posting on this blog http://wiltshirebustard.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/all-cannings-indian-heritage.html it stated that Vashti's parents had arrived from India but Vashti herself was born in Echilhampton. This seems to be a copy of another article that my cousin sent me this evening mainly talking about Lilac cottage in Echilhampton.

The problem I have is that we have no evidence of Vashti's birth other than what she says in the census. James Nash was a carpenter possibly could have come from India. I have the feeling that Vashti may have been born in India but never declared this.

I would be happy to come over to Wiltshire to look through records but I would need to know what records I'm going to look through. My gut feeling about this is that there are probably some items related to the Nash's in newspaper or some local history book.

Some years ago my cousin received come communication from a member of the Merrett family who said that he had seen a picture, "that all they seem to be dark". We have lost contact William but was the picture a dark picture or was this skin dark but with a name like Nash I would hardly think they were Indian.

Can any Rootschater help me.

Robert....
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vashti Nash b. abt 1817
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
hi there are trees on ancestry that show her parents born Wiltshire and that they married 1800 at worton parish church poulton Wiltshire.shows vashti &her siblings  born England.
parents james nash &Christian stow

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 02:12 BST (UK) »
Looking at census, on-line trees, bmd's etc. it would seem to me that there were in fact 2 James Nash's married to a Christian.

The one who married Christian Stowe was bc.1771 and the online trees show she died Aug.1833.   The children baptised at Potterne 1801-1807 definitely their's.   However, this James Nash was an Ag. Lab.   In 1841/1851 he is living with his eldest son Isaac and a widower which would concur with the death of his wife Christian in 1833.  This James Nash died 1852.

1841 - Devizes, Wiltshire - ref. HO107 - 1184 - 2 - 5 - 2

James Nash    60       J. Carpenter        b. Wiltshire
Christian Nash  50                                     ditto
Sophia Nash    30                                Not born Wiltshire

Christian Nash death recorded as Christianna Nash Sept.qtr.1845 Devizes.

1851 - Potterne, Wiltshire - ref.HO107 - 1839 - 388 - 6

James Nash    74  Wid.     Retired Carpenter    b. Stert, Wiltshire
Sophia Ellen Nash   41  Unm.                         b. Bath, Somerset
Martha Ember   9   granddaughter                  b. Devizes, Wiltshire

(not sure where Martha comes into things - can't see a marriage of a female Nash to a Mr. Ember).

James still alive in 1861 and died 1864.

The online trees have lumped all the children born to a James and Christian Nash from 1801 to 1823 to James Nash and Christian Stowe (including Vashti) - I personally don't believe any of those baptised at Etchilhampton belong to this couple.   

One James bc.1771 Worton, Wilts., Ag. Lab. married to Christian Stowe - she died 1833 and he died 1852.

The other James Nash bc.1777 Stert, Wiltshire, Carpenter and married to another Christian (cannot locate marriage) with a daughter Sophia bc.1810 Bath, Somerset and 3/4 children baptised at Etchilhampton 1816/7-1823.   She died 1845 and he in 1864.

So two separate couples here for sure although the online trees suggest otherwise.   

[Vashti seemed to be a name used quite a few times so not altogether sure there is actually a connection to India.   In fact, googling reveals the name to be African, Hebrew or Persian.]

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
Annette, thank you very much for your input. In fact only yesterday did I comment that there could be two James Nash & Christian although I didn't see it myself. If James Nash living in Echilhampton was Ag Lab then that would certainly makes sense to that locale from what I have read about it.

Yes I am aware of those trees online because when I started doing research they got me into a terrible mess because I merge them all and consequently deleted it saying I would never go down that path again. There was a lot more errors in those trees than just the Vashti issue.

I initially found that the name Vashti was Persian and there is quite a bit of language overflow between Persia and India or what is now Iran and Pakistan. I did as some Pakistan people that I knew and they were familiar with the name Vashti. I recently did look at Wikipedia for the name and it is a real Enigma. Whilst Vashti is not a common name you probably see there is a Vashti Nash who is a gospel singer in America according to YouTube.

Have you any first hand knowledge that the Echilhampton parish register has been fully transcribed? Also what do you think to that posting that I gave a link to? It seems as if that may have come from allcannings.org.uk but is not on their now and I have no idea who wrote it.

I'm going to have to go through what you have said I've always describe this part of our family history as a genealogical quagmire.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

(Have you any first hand knowledge that the Echilhampton parish register has been fully transcribed?)

The On-line Parish clerk for Wiltshire may be able to help if you go to this address. (You may have to register first which is free).
http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk

It looks as if some of the registers have been transcribed for Echlhampton especially baptisms to 1812.

I did look but did not see any "Nash" entries but there are a few "Naish" baptisms but none that I could see  for James.

The marriage "Doran54"  listed below (James Nash/Christian Stow) for Worton is mentioned in the transcripts of Potterne  (which includes baptisms for Worton & Marston for residents prior to 1841).

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Alan, thank you very much and I will have to follow through on that.

The other thing that I should have done when Anette mentioned that she 2 James Nash & Christian is that on the marriage certificate Vashti as stated that her father is James Nash occupation carpenter.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
Since Vashti says she was born Etchilhampton, that her father was James, carpenter, I would suggest that all the baptisms at Etchilhampton were children of James, carpenter (not the Ag.Lab.)

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
I am reawakening this thread as I have found a little bit more information. The name Vashti is certainly not uncommon in Wiltshire as it appears many times.

I'm going to try to put this request here rather than go into Somerset as to try and keep this thread in tact, however if people feel I do better starting a new thread in Somerset then I can always do that.

I am looking for the baptism of Sophia Nash or Naish b. abt 1805 or 1810 in Bath all Combe Hay according to the 1851/1861 census respectively. Does anyone have access to the parish register for Combe Hay. As we cannot find a marriage for James Nash or Naish in Wiltshire it looks highly probable that James and Christian got married in Somerset.

I have another theory about Vashti but I'll post that on the forum after we have had a look at this.

Thank you,
Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 October 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I have only just back into this thread but looking at the 1851 census details "Annette"  listed below for James Nash born Stert, Wilts, have you seen this entry?

http://dustydocs.com.au/link/40/37001/124201/baptisms-1580-1812-marriages-1588-1838-archersoftware.html

It lists James' bapt as 1776 s/o James & Mary

The date seems to tie in nicely with his age in the census.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk