Author Topic: Albert Arthur Slack / Alverstoke, Hants  (Read 2338 times)

Offline navex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Arthur Slack / Alverstoke, Hants
« on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for help in tracing my family from my grandfather Albert Arthur Slack. From his death certificate I have an approximate birth date of 1890 and date of death 30 Nov 1931. After his marriage he lived and died in Alverstoke, Hampshire. From his marriage certificate, wife Harriett Watkins, his profession is given as Lance Corporal 14th Hants Regiment. His father's name was George Slack whose occupation is given as electrical engineer and he was deceased at the time of the marriage (1917). My mother believes his family were from the Birmingham area, but I don't put too much store in this.

Alan

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Arthur Slack / Alverstoke, Hants
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
It may help you if you know any of his siblings names, so the parents who's father he was, what Uncles and Aunts did they have

I can find on Arthur Slack with father George, mother Elizabeth living in Sutton in Ashfield which is in north Nottinghamshire( coal mining country)  and it looks like 3 siblings Sarah, John and George

Then a Albert Arther Slack born 1896 living with mother and step father https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XWSX-F3H if so this is his mother https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSNF-ZWJ

At the moment ancestry.co.uk are giving free access to the 1911 census so it might be worth you looking at that, you can also then use freebmd index http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ to get the registration dates
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline navex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
Albert, SLACK, Arthur, was born in Gosport, Hampshire, England about 1890. His father is George, SLACK,,.
On 21 Apr 1917 he married Harriett, WATKINS, May, (1901) in Alverstoke, Hampshire, England, age 26. He had 5 children with Harriett, WATKINS, May, (1901): Arthur, SLACK,, (1917), Lilian, SLACK, May, (22 Dec 1919), Arthur, SLACK, Leslie, (20 Nov 1921), Albert, SLACK,, (ABT Aug 1923) and Joseph, SLACK, George, (ABT Jan 1925). In the year 1931, he worked as Stoker at Drainage Air Compressing Station, Borough Council in Gosport, Hampshire, England. His father George, SLACK,, died in BEF 1917.
On 30 Nov 1931, Albert, SLACK, Arthur, died in Gosport, Hampshire, England, age 41.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
It seems strange there is no Albert Slack born Hampshire on birth indexes.I think the one Iluleah found is the correct one as he is the only Albert Arthur born in the period you are refering too.There are also Army service records for him 39 pages of them,mother Mrs Young.Is it possible he was illegitimate and just put his dad down as George on marriage certificate as can happen.If Harriet was born 1901 then its possible Jun 1896   Nottingham Albert Arthur is her husband.Ive just looked at the death entry and he appears to be Arthur Slack,where has the Albert Arthur come from?We can only go off the information you provide to help you

Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline navex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
Albert Arthur Slack's death certificate of 1931 gives his age at death of 41 which gives a dob of 1890 and was submitted by his wife Harriett who you would think knew his real age.
However, Albert Arthur Slack's marriage certificate of 1917 gives his age as 23 (not a badly written 28) which gives a dob of 1894. Now this could have been a deliberate error on his part as his wife Harriett at the time was only 16 and maybe 27-28 would have seemed inappropriate. I do know that Harriett was much younger than Albert, but not to the extent.

Alan

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
I think the Albert Arthur Slack b. 1896 Nottingham is probably the Albert A. Slack who married in Nottingham in 1919 and died there in 1966 - separate from the Hampshire man.

Do you know what name Albert/Arthur he used between 1919 and 1931 (e.g. how is he listed on kid's birth certificates and/or military records).  At marriage, are any of the witnesses potential relatives on the Slack side?

Looking in Hampshire, there is one George Slack who married in 1890 to Linda Fanny Litchfield. They had at least one kid, Linda.  She is listed as "step-granddaughter"? in 1901: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSFW-7XH  - probably with her mother's parents, as Linda Litchfield appears in 1881 with a stepfather Walter Barringer.

She appears to have married in the US, giving her father as Frederick G.

If this couple are Albert's parents (or at least, if Linda is Albert's mother), then it appears they split up early which could explain why you're having trouble finding him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Albert, SLACK, Arthur, was born in Gosport, Hampshire, England about 1890. His father is George, SLACK,,.
On 21 Apr 1917 he married Harriett, WATKINS, May, (1901) in Alverstoke, Hampshire, England, age 26. He had 5 children with Harriett, WATKINS, May, (1901): Arthur, SLACK,, (1917), Lilian, SLACK, May, (22 Dec 1919), Arthur, SLACK, Leslie, (20 Nov 1921), Albert, SLACK,, (ABT Aug 1923) and Joseph, SLACK, George, (ABT Jan 1925). In the year 1931, he worked as Stoker at Drainage Air Compressing Station, Borough Council in Gosport, Hampshire, England. His father George, SLACK,, died in BEF 1917.
On 30 Nov 1931, Albert, SLACK, Arthur, died in Gosport, Hampshire, England, age 41.

I can see you are insistant of the information you have , however Albert, SLACK, Arthur, was born in Gosport, Hampshire, England in the year ABT 1890. His father is George, SLACK
HOW do you KNOW that unless you have his birth cert or baptism record which you haven't  or you wouldn't be estimating a birth date so  this is what you think and only from SECONDARY records, the ONLY  primary records to prove this is birth cert and/or baptism record.... what we are told and what we think, secondary record information is not proof. You can only trust no, accept primary records you want YOUR ancestors in your tree not someone elses ancestry just because you think or were told something different.

My maternal great grandmother lied on every census about her age and place of birth, her death cert and MI says she is 12 years older than she was  and you would think "she would know how old she was" and you would think ' her daughter would know how old her mum was' but no I have her birth cert and baptism records so KNOW she lied as they are primary records ???
My paternal Great Grandfather married twice each time he used a different name as 'father' ( his grandfather and is mums brother) yet I have his birth and baptism record and 'his fathers' name is written on that PRIMARY record which is a record at the time or close to the time of the event. That I have to 'accept' is the truth even though I 'beleive' it is not, but belief is NOT fact and certainly not family history research

There are two which I informed you about in Nottinghamshire, I would do more research on the one who was a step son and that is just gut instinct and 30 years of research experience.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Maybe?

1911 has a 20 year old Albert Slack, in the Army, based in Farnborough.

Search for Horace Smith Dorrien or James Grierson (both born 1859).

I'm not saying it IS your man, but it's a bit of a coincidence?
Also he's not Hampshire Regiment - but he may have transferred later?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline navex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 September 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone so far.

The marriage certificate 21Apr1917 has his name of Albert Arthur Slack, age 23, profession Lance Corporal 14th Hants Regiment, address 88 Henry St, Stoke Rd., Alverstoke, father's name George Slack, in brackets deceased, profession Electrical Engineer. It is witnessed by Harriot's father Arnold Orgill Watkins and her sister Emily Watkins b1899.

The death certificate for 30Nov1931 has his name as only ARTHUR Slack, age 41, occupation Stoker at Drainage Air Compressing Station, Borough Council, widow Harriett May Slack present at death, 82 Henry St., Gosport.

Harriett went on to marry Colston W. Anning Sep1932 and had two daughters Jean and another who is still living, but she has little knowledge of Albert and believes there are no records left in the family.

I will continue to do more research along the lines you've suggested.

Alan