Author Topic: Greenwich pension entitlement  (Read 553 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Greenwich pension entitlement
« on: Sunday 01 September 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me, please, if the widow of a Royal Marine would be eligible to collect any sort of pension? I ask this question because I have a record of "presumably" my ancestor joining the Greenwich pensioners some 11 years (1835) after his death. Yes I know, it's an odd theory but I was wondering if the document, dated 1846, was merely raised due to some sort of  application made by his wife. What I do know though is he wasn't on officer, nor did he die in battle.

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich pension entitlement
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 September 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
hi stewart
have a look in national archives you should find him there and you may find an answer to your question .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trevor, however the record I have is from the NA. I just that its dated 11 years after his death. The obvious conclusion is that the record I have is not that of my ancestor, however James Wolfendale is not a particularly popular name, as far as Royal Marine records are concerned. I'm just curious if there is a precedent for a widow to claim the pension, if say she should fall upon bad times some years after he husbands death.

Regards

Stewart 

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
on Kevin Asplins site ...he has some lists of In pensioners in Greenwich and on this list
which is an Entry list is a James Wolvendale entered in 1846 born Manchester and age 69 on entry
so I don't think he will be your James unfortunately.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 September 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yeah I've seen that entry thanks Sandiep. Actually I thinks it's the guy whose military record I have but i'm beginning to draw the conclusion that he's not my rellie after all. Pity, because it's quite an interesting document. My ancestor was a Greenwich pensioner because I have a couple of other sources of info that corroborate it, but the record I have seems to be the only one the NA have for a James Wolfendale. Ah well I'll get to the bottom of this eventually ::).

Thank you, & Trevor for your interest

Regards

Stewart