Author Topic: cause of death?  (Read 8498 times)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cause of death?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a copy from the GRO would be a copy of a copy then. Still may be better that a transcription - we'd have more to work on.

If the certificate is from the GRO then it is "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in the certified copy of a register of Biths/Marriages/Deaths  in the Registration District of ......."
If you get it from the local Register Office then it says "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody."

Does this mean that the original is at the local registrar's office and the one from the GRO would be a copy of the one sent from the registry office to the GRO?
Sorry for showing my ignorance

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 September 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
Metritis is inflammation of the uterus - it is possible the term metrus could have been derived from this.  Did her death occur shortly after childbirth by any chance?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 September 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Does this mean that the original is at the local registrar's office and the one from the GRO would be a copy of the one sent from the registry office to the GRO?
Sorry for showing my ignorance
The GRO has no access to the original records, whereas the local register office holds the duplicate copy of the marriage register book, and the original Birth and Death Registers. In April, July, October and January, each registrar was to make a true copy of all entries in his registers, since the previous copy was made, and was to pass that copy to his superintendent registrar. The Superintendent Registrar was then required to send the certified COPIES of the entries to the Registrar General, these copies are known as 'the quarterly returns'. It is these 'quarterly returns' that are used to make the GRO Indexes.
Some Register Offices provide photocopies from the duplicate marriage registers held by the Superintendent Registrar, and have the original handwriting. The copies you get from the GRO are from the copies of the original register, and this is where there is a potential for errors to happen.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
See sections XXXII  and XXXIII of the 1836 Registration Act at http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/View?path=Browse/Legislation%20%28by%20date%29&active=yes&mno=4044

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
Metritis...it is possible the term metrus could have been derived from this.  Did her death occur shortly after childbirth by any chance?
Looks a good contender shanghaipanda; would you expect it to be followed by 'disease' though? Yes, would help to know if the death followed childbirth.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
 I do not know if her death followed childbirth, if it did the baby died as well. The other children were farmed out to members of the family and I have bc for all of them.  The youngest  I know of was born in 1879. So it is quite possible,  which is why I have been looking for another child.
thanks

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 September 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Been mulling over this all week, tonight I raided the piggy bank and ordered a certificate from the GRO.
Will post again when it arrives.
Thanks

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 14 September 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
GRO record arrived this morning, I am none the wiser.
All ideas welcome

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 14 September 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
To me the original starts with 'Mel' or 'Meb' & ends with 'us' or 'ius'; I see no 't' or 'f'.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON