Author Topic: Please help me find Granny Tree in 1911??  (Read 1883 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help me find Granny Tree in 1911??
« on: Thursday 05 September 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, my husband's Granny (known as Granny Tree because she was tall  :D) was Ethel LANGLEY reg/born in Clutton, Somerset Jul-Aug-Sep 1889 to Methodist minister and coal miner Benjamin Harry LANGLEY and his wife Alice Martha. I have her in Radstock, Somerset in 1891 and in Hanley, Staffordshire in 1901 with the family but cannot find her again until 1913 when she marries Catholic fire clay miner William KELLY in July 1913 in New Monkland, Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland. By October 1913 she has given birth to her oldest child Christopher.

I have also posted this on the Somerset page.

If anyone can help me find Ethel I would be most grateful.  :)
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find Granny Tree in 1911??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
If she was in Scotland in 1911 then you'll need to look on the ScotlandsPeople pay to view website, as the 1911 census for Scotland isn't available on any free sites. She may well have moved there with her coal miner father, as Lanarkshire was very much a coal mining area and many of the miners there recruited from elsewhere.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, actually Ethel's mother has died in 1905 and in 1911 her father Benjamin Harry LANGLEY has remarried and lives with his new wife and baby in Peasedown St John in Somerset. Ethel's sister and brother are living as 1. a servant in Shepton Mallett and 2. a miner's carting boy in Peasedown St John so I am only looking for Ethel.

I have been looking for this 1911 census for some time and have wondered if she has already met William KELLY and is living with him under his name but I just can't find her!! Very frustrating. Thanks for your advice, I shall just have to bite the bullet and pay for the Scotland's People 1911 census unless anyone would kindly look her up for me  :D

Many thanks  :)
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 September 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Try looking at the free index on SP first. Otherwise if you register and buy just a few credits, it only needs 1 credit to do a more specific search of the index. It's then 5 credits to download an image of the census page. From memory I think the minimum credits buy costs £7.

Someone may be willing to spend their credits on your behalf, or if someone is at an SP centre they might be willing to have a look and see if she's there.

There is, however, the possibility she's simply been missed off. I don't suppose any census can ever guarantee 100% coverage. I've got a few people who've gone missing for one census when all the evidence says they should be there!
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 September 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had a look at SP as I haven't been on there for ages and joy :D I found I have 22 credits I had forgotten about. I still can't find her though  :( but as you say she may have just been missed off. I just thought it was worth a try as all you folks at Rootschat are so helpful  :)

Thanks for your help as always

Offline katiesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone will see this post as it is years later but granny tree as you call her is the grandmother of my grandmother! I too have bee very stuck trying to find records of her, my nan only told me that she was born in Bath, grew up in Scotland and died in Bethnal Green Hospital, London. My nan is the daughter of Jean McLaren Kelly nee Brophy and William Kelly who is the son of Ethel and William. I was told that her family were well off and disowned her for marrying William who was Irish and considered to be 'beneath her'. I was also told her father was a Methodist minister and police officer. Did you find out any information that you could share?

Kind regards,
Katie Preston-Hicks

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 20 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Katie, welcome to RootsChat :)

Although this topic was posted in 2013 merrymoo is still very active and was online earlier this month, now that you have replied to their topic they will be notified by email.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Katie,

If we don't hear from her I have the marriage and birth.  What you need to do is make two more posts, then you can click on my name and send me a PM with your email and I will send you the registrations.  Although married in Airdrie (RC) they were both living at different Numbers on the same street in Coatbridge.  She was a servant so perhaps she did get missed from the census as she is not under Langley nor Kelly or variants.  Btw...on the marriage it states her father was a Methodist Minister, nothing more.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Katie,

We created RootsChat to be a safe space for folk to research their family tree, there is no need to reveal your private details if you do not want to, folk can attach documents to posts if they want to. The attach button is below the box in which folk type in, anyone can use it.

The poster was online only a few days ago, we cover different timelines so I am quite sure this member will reply soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk