Author Topic: Marriage in Canada.  (Read 2044 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage in Canada.
« on: Tuesday 10 September 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a John McQueen born in Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1875 and a Janet Templeman Wallace born in Kings Lynn, Norfolk in 1879. Both were living in Glasgow in 1901. Then they were married in 1905 in Toronto, Canada. Their first child came in 1906 in Glasgow.

My question is why did they go to Canada to get married? or
Did they meet there and decide to go back to Glasgow?
As I cannot find any info on their departure (concrete evidence) I cannot work this out.
Has anyone any ideas what could have happened.
Cheers.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Canada.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks like they married 24th April 1905 in Canada
John McQueen 29 son of Andrew McQueen & Margaret Cassidy
Janet Templeman Wallace 25 daughter of W Wallace & Ellen Templeman

and a possible arrival in Liverpool 4th June 1905 on the Lake Erie as Jno McQueen and Mrs McQueen.

Have you found either of them in the 1901 census (Canada, England or Scotland)?

Andy

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Both were living in Glasgow in 1901. John lived in Gairbraid Street and Janet lived in Fernie Street.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I checked out Jno McQueen. It could be them but the birth dates were a wee bit out. I need to find out if they travelled to Canada together or alone.
I wonder why they came back to Glasgow. Many people were leaving Europe then.
I was wondering about how people travelled to and from Canada in the early 1900s. Could they have sailed to New York first and then travelled up to Toronto and vice versa?

Thanks.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
What were their occupations?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 20:42 BST (UK) »
In Scotland John was a rubber worker and an asbestos worker. In Canada he was just a labourer.
Janet was a knitting machinist.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 September 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Trying to make sense of your ancestors movements. Usually entry to Canada was by ship up the St. Lawrence River. On his arrival he would find that those who went before from Scotland and Ireland took with them the usual religous hatreds, the Orange Order controlled everything in Old Toronto. Then there was The Great Fire of Toronto in 1904 which put 5,000 out of work.
I'm not surprised they came home again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Toronto

The Orange Order[edit source]

Main article: Orange Order in Canada

Orangemen's Parade in the late 1860s on King Street East
In their efforts to control the city and its citizens, the Tories were willing to turn to extra-governmental tools of social control, such as the Orange Order. As historian Gregory Kealey concluded, "Following the delegitimation of Reform after the Rebellions were suppressed, the Corporation (of Toronto) developed into an impenetrable bastion of Orange-Tory strength."[7] By 1844, six of Toronto's ten aldermen were Orangemen, and over the rest of the 19th century, twenty of twenty-three mayors would be as well. A parliamentary committee reporting on the 1841 Orange Riot in Toronto concluded that the powers granted the Corporation made it ripe for Orange abuse. Orange influence dominated the emerging police force, giving it a "monopoly of legal violence, and the power to choose when to enforce the law."[8] Orange Order violence at elections and other political meetings was a staple of the period. Between 1839 and 1866, the Orange Order was involved in 29 riots in Toronto, of which 16 had direct political inspiration.[9]

At its height in 1942, 16 of the 23 members of city council were members of the Orange Order.[10] Every mayor of Toronto in the first half of the 20th century was an Orangeman. This continued until the 1954 election when the Jewish Nathan Phillips defeated radical Orange leader Leslie Howard Saunders.

James.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you James....very informative. To be honest I didn't think of looking at the history of Toronto to get answers. I have learnt something new today.
But the question lingers.....did they go together to Canada or met there? I just cannot find any concrete evidence apart from what "andycand" found which could actually be them.

Cheers!