Author Topic: Indian Police Services - George Hubert Parke Bailey  (Read 792 times)

Offline quinnw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Indian Police Services - George Hubert Parke Bailey
« on: Tuesday 10 September 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find more about a relative - George Hubert Parke Bailey - born 2 Jan 1902 in Mountmellic Ireland. Any ideas where I can obtain information about his time in the Indian Police Services?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Police Services - George Hubert Parke Bailey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 19:45 BST (UK) »

just for reference,,,,we are talking about this man?

George Hubert Parke BAILEY bachelor Egmore Madras
 Norah ROBINSON spinster Mt Mellish Irish Free State
 Banns Sept 1935 …proposed Marriage St Mary’s Church
 Madras 15th October 1935
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quinnw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy,

Correct, that is the couple I am investigating. I have migration / passenger lists from 1922 to 1946. Little known on his history or service. We recently discoverd a MBE medal amongst his items.

Many thanks,

Bill

Offline Seztratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
Try FIBIS website they were helpful for me when I was searching for army records

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
MBE is interesting - you'll find him listed in the London Gazette which is searchable online.

His sewrvice records are likely to be in the British Library - there is guidance on their website. But my (limited) experience was that I made slow progress when I was there in the Reading Room despite really helpful staff; when I hired a researcher I got better value for money as what he charged me would nowhere near have paid enough train fares for me to find the same information myself.

http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecords/indiaofficehub.html
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Seztratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
Email the British library they will tell you if they have the records that you are interested in. 

Offline quinnw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

London Gazette said nothing other than acknowledged it. Have written to UK Government department that manages them and they say can't add anything more than what is in Gazette.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Bill

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 02:40 BST (UK) »
If you do Google books and search for "G H P Bailey" you will find a number of mentions. He was District Superintendent of Police in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, and from various snippets its seems that he was very highly regarded as an administrator and re-organiser of local police forces.

He also seems to have been the Principal of the Police Training School in the state in the late 30s.

Hope these leads help.

Addendum:

There is a portrait of him in the Colebrook collection in the Indian Office of the British Library

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3hUaAAAAIAAJ&q=%22Bailey+G+H+P%22&dq=%22Bailey+G+H+P%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BM0vUp-_EqXm7AaV9IGwAg&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBg

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/indiaofficeselect/PhotoShowDescs.asp?CollID=952