Author Topic: Public Lecture "The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh" @ Ruthin Gaol  (Read 2273 times)

Offline den-archives

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Public Lecture "The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh" @ Ruthin Gaol
« on: Thursday 12 September 13 14:00 BST (UK) »
Public Lecture "The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh"
Thursday 17th October 2013, 6pm-7.30pm
Places are limited, booking is essential
Staff at Denbighshire Archives are hosting an evening of talks about the history of the North Wales Hospital, Denbigh. The main collection of records is held at the record office in Ruthin Gaol and is one of the best collections of nineteenth and twentieth century asylum records in the country, reflecting changes and development in treatments and attitudes towards of mental illness.
Dr Pamela Michael, lecturer in Health Studies and Social Policy at Bangor University, will be talking about the history of the hospital with particular emphasis on the role of women as staff and patients. Her research interests are in Welsh women’s history, the history of social policy, and health and mental illness in Wales; she published a study on the care and treatment of the mentally ill in North Wales, 1800-2000 (University of Wales Press, Cardiff, 2003).
Clwyd Wynne, a long standing member of staff at the North Wales Hospital, will be talking about life as a member of staff at the hospital and the work of The North Wales Hospital Historical Society in preserving the memories of ex-staff and patients of the hospital.
Jane Brunning, the senior archivist will provide an over view of the records held at the archives, some of which will be on display. See attachment for poster to display.
Places are limited, book now by phone or email
01824 708250
archives@denbighshire.gov.uk

https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/resident/libraries-and-archives/denbighshire-archives/news-and-events.aspx

Offline AmyK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Public Lecture "The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh" @ Ruthin Gaol
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
ok, so I understand I am 2 years late !!! but is their or will their be anything similar coming up, I am currently researching the hospital an is a great interest of mine. Thanks in advance :) 
KENNETT:
East Dean, East Sussex
Everton, Liverpool

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried asking at Ruthin Gaol? Also there could be some information at Denbigh Hospital if you get to speak to one of the older members of staff. I visited a patient there before it was closed and recall it was quite an old fashioned hospital with cream painted wards and quite an austere feel although the setting was lovely.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
I know people in Denbigh.   I will print this page and circulate  it to some people  who will be pleased  that you are interested.    Thank you.  or I should say Dioch
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
ok, so I understand I am 2 years late !!! but is their or will their be anything similar coming up, I am currently researching the hospital an is a great interest of mine. Thanks in advance :)

Which bit, or what aspect are you particularly  interested in?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline den-archives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 16:03 BST (UK) »

Which bit, or what aspect are you particularly  interested in?

Unfortunately nothing planned- follow our blog to find out about future events- https://denbighshirearchives.wordpress.com/, best wishes, Sarah @ Denbighshire Archives

Offline AmyK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
spoke to the archives within ruthin goal an they have provided me with a list of original documents I am able to go along an view. At the min I have been trying to research for information on the lives of the patients an staff an looking at their stories. They also replied to me that they have nothing planned so far :(
KENNETT:
East Dean, East Sussex
Everton, Liverpool