Author Topic: Gibbons, Burke and Carney families from Ballyart, Parke, Turlough, Castlebar  (Read 16972 times)

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there

My mother Mary Kate Gibbons was born in Ballyart in 1930.

My grandparents Patrick Gibbons and Bridget Kerins were married in 1925.

There were 3 Gibbons families in Ballyart in the Griffiths Valuation of 1857 and we assume they were all related as the houses were very close to each other. The houses in Griffiths were headed by Tobias, Pat and Michael Gibbons.

Tobias - This house is a combination of Gibbons / Burke in both censuses through marriage.

Pat - This house became Carney by the censuses through marriage.

Michael - My great great grandfather who with his wife Julia had 2 children that we know of. Anthony ( my great grandfather ) who married Mary Walsh from Curelaim / Toormore East and Mary who married Mick McHugh from Carrowkeel.

We know that the Tolan family from Rockfield, Turlough descend from another Michael Gibbons who left Ballyart in 1860, and there are Gibbons in Ballynew with Ballyart ancestry. All the Gibbons in Upper and Lower Cashel in the censuses are also believed to have come from Ballyart.

There were also Patrick, Ellen and Mary Gibbons from Ballyart who descended from yet another Michael Gibbons who emigrated to the USA in the mid 1800s. Patrick and Ellen were in Alton,Illinois and Mary was in Quebec, Canada and Rochester, NY.

Ive been in contact with Castlebar library and there are no records which can link the families.

I know its a long shot but I would be grateful if anyone has any information which could link the Ballyart Gibbons families.

Thank you

Brendan O'Connor

Birmingham England

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbons, Burke and Carney families from Ballyart, Parke, Turlough, Castlebar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 September 13 06:39 BST (UK) »
hi Brendan...I have Gibbons from Parke in my tree  ;)  I would remove your e-mail from the post as the moderators will,,if  you don't !!!   don't think I can help with your query about the link between the families,,,but will see if we have a family link.  ;D
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbons, Burke and Carney families from Ballyart, Parke, Turlough, Castlebar
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Cheers Gortonboy. I've just removed my e-mail address !

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 02:39 BST (UK) »
my connection is my 3rd great Aunt  Ellen Gibbons nee OHora,she married

Frederick Charles Gibbons   

Place of Burial:
Turlough, MAYO, Round Tower of Turlough, Ireland

Birth:
 28 March 1878 
 Madras, India 

Death:
 13 June 1964  (86)
 Castlebar, Turlough, Mayo, Ireland (Bronchial pneumonia) 

Ellen was born Feb 9 1872 in Lack East and Baptized Feb 10 1872 in Keelogues Church. Ellen came to the United States in 1892 with her brother Michael (Geneva, NY) and returned to Ireland before 1899 ..

Name: Ellen Gibbons Registration district: Castlebar Record type: DEATHS Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1956 Estimated birth year: Feb 9, 1872 Age: 84 Mother surnames: Nealon/OHora Film number: 257855 Volume: 4 Page: 58 Digital GS number: 4202552 Image number: 00515 Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
My Uncle Tom Gibbons ( London ) remembers Fred when he was a postman delivering the mail to Ballyart. He says we are not related but I'm sure there would be a link a few generations back !

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
that's right,,,he was a postman  ;)    cheers  GB

Offline bren1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfathers sister Mary Gibbons from Ballyart married Michael McHugh from Carrowkeel on 8 February 1877. Michaels father was Mark McHugh. They are the only McHugh house in Toormore East in both censuses. Any relation ?!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I will have to dig out my McHugh files,,,,will get back to you on this  ;)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Martin McHugh of Carrowkeel  was b c1845 son of Patrick McHugh,,he married 1868 to Mary Ruane in Keelogues church,,,,,cant see a Mark McHugh in my records.