Author Topic: Swallowfield bp  (Read 1748 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Swallowfield bp
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
Help please.
     I have a female who's origin is given as in Swallowfield abt 1785, I found a child bp
  in the local church in Familysearch, but it has only has Grant recorded,  the date given
  is 25 Sept 1785 , by a George and Elizabeth Grant, my Grant was a Frances, could any
  one please check to see if there is any other names, or that the parents could not make
  up there minds I suppose.
                  regards.... mick

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swallowfield bp
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Mick
There are several children bap in Swallowfield around that time  of a John and Elizabeth  Grant but only one of a George and Elizabeth, and none named Frances in the Berkshire fhs cd of the Parish.
There is a Frances Jones bapt 1785, and an illeg Frances New dau of Elizabeth in 1786/ Could her mother have married to a Grant in another village later? There is a marriage in 1789 of a George  Glover of Shinfield and Elizabeth New in Swallowfield, so I don't think that can be your Frances Grant.  Do you have your Frances in the 1841 census, by any remote chance??
If not, how do you know that she was born Swallowfield?
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Re: Swallowfield bp
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying vicwinann, the answer how did I come by Swallowfield, I was searching Berks
for a Francis Grant bn/bp abt  1770-1785, the only one I could find was in Familysearch 1785, not a good match for my Frances, I have her in the 41/51c but only place of origin was given as Berks,
and the ages given was  70 & 80, that makes 1771 ish , I have learnt not to put much store by given ages, Frances married a Charles Grover (1778) at St Lukes, Chelsea in 1810, I do not no were he came from because he died in 1833, if Frances was from Berks he might also, none of there children had middle names to use as a clue, I am not happy with these ages and dates as it would seem she started begatting when she was 40 or so if the ages are correct, from 1810 t0 1822, last one at 52 ?, poss, I did find a Charles Grover (1778) in Burghfield  again in FS is that mine date wise a reasonable fit  as the age given for Charles at death was 55 in Fulham.
   thanks...mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk