Author Topic: Where are the remaining birth (death?) records for Mary Ann Hartshorn post 1889?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
I have just discovered in the 1911 census that a mother in a family that I am researching gave birth to six children, alive at birth, however four sadly died.
So far I have only been able to find the birth record of one surviving child Amelia Elizabeth Hartshorne born in Hucknall in 1897.
Details of the wife are: Mary Anne Payne born Shepshed in 1864
Details of the husband are:  John Charles Hartshorne born Shepshed abt 1856, (So far I have been unable to find any records for him prior to the marriage).
The couple married in the Basford registration district in 1889.
The census records have only given me the details of Amelia Elizabeth.
If anyone can help me discover the details of the other children, especially the other child that survived it would be really appreciated.
Also I have not been able to find a marriage record for Amelia Elizabeth. Any help in discovering this record would be appreciated.
Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the remaining birth (death?) records for Mary Ann Hartshorn post 1889?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
I went back 10 years to the 1901 census and find that Amelia is still the only child on the census,she is known by her middle name of Elizabeth and is age 4.
I was hoping there might be other children.

Stillbirths or miscarriages were not recorded until 1927 and many people seemed to have included those in 1911 when answering how many children born to that particular marriage.

I'll keep looking for you!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the remaining birth (death?) records for Mary Ann Hartshorn post 1889?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for trying Carol.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
So they were both in Notts by 1889- and therefore you would expect all children to have been born and died there then.

Marriages Mar 1889   

Hartshorn    John Charles        Basford    7b   265    
Payne    Mary Ann         Basford    7b   265    

Carol

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the surviving child is one Mary Ann Had before she married John Charles

1891- surname entered as "Hartston"
11 Clumber St Hucknal Torkd Notts
John C Hartston Head M 32  coal miner
ditto  ???            wife 26
George H Payne son 9
all b Sheepshead Leicester
RG12 2673 132 37

Owen St Coalville Leics
Thomas Knighr Head M 28 coal miner Woolston Warwick
Jane wife 23 Nuneaton Warwicks
GEORGE PAYNE Boarder U 19 Coal Miner Shepshed Leics
Thomas Knight son 1 Nuneaton Warwicks
RG13 2973 90 28

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Carol.

Next to find the children . . . . . . . .

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
That is really interesting Suz.

Mary Ann's maiden name was Payne.

At the moment I do not have a George H born abt 1892 in my tree.

Must be worth investigating.

Thank you for the lead.

Andy

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Suzard you are so clever  ;D

I have been looking for ages to find the family in 1891 too.

Must say I didn't try Hartston though  ::)

Carol

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hartshorne can be a terrible name to research - different spellings etc

There are a lot of Hartshorne's in Derbyshire and some of them even shorten their name to Hart (present day!!!)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk