Author Topic: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9: Marrianne Faithful  (Read 14774 times)

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9 Marrianne Faithful
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
I found this very boring. Most of the first half was nothing new to someone who is/was into 60s pop music, and is easily found by googling. Yes, what her mother and maternal grandparents went through was awful, but Stephen Fry's ancestors went through very similar situations, and worse, as shown in a previous WDYTYA. In that case, though, we were shown where his ancestors lived, he talked to people who'd been in a similar situation, people who'd known his family - which makes a person's history and ancestors come alive. I'm afraid this programme was just paperwork, and doesn't make for very absorbing tv - not for me, anyway. As said elsewhere, this was WWII history, NOT genealogy.

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
Had it been titled "A Wartime History of a pop star's parents" it would have been good, but as a 'WDYTYA?" programme, I found it a bit out of place.
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
I thought it a very powerful example of the sacrifice made during those horrible war time periods. Would all of us have been able to put our families at risk by doing resistance work, knowing what would happen to our families if we were caught?
Some of our ancestors may have been involved in the war, some of our ancestors may have been/are jewish, so for me it was appropriate as part of genealogy. My Father, still alive, was RAF ground technical crew posted Uk and abroad, so very protected from many aspects of the war, but his generation were very brave and a programme like this reminds us of their bravery and sacrifice. My opinion anyway.
North East of England

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
It seems I must have been watching a different program to many who posted on this thread!
Or it perhaps what they understand as genealogy or family history is not what I understand as family history.

To me this was an excellent program that vividly showed the effect of historic influences on later generations.

It portrayed exactly the title of the program "Who Do You Think You Are", and gave the viewers an insight into why the subjects turned out as they did.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
I got fed up with her finishing the researchers' sentences and I got the impression that she already knew most of what she was being told.

I really don't care for this new 'here's one I prepared earlier' approach to the subject's genealogy by - as weste said - 'the customary unrolling of the chart'. WDYTYA has turned into potted social history lessons which is fine in itself but, as others have said, not genealogy.

Oh, and please can we have Mark Strong's beautiful voice back? (Nothing personal against Cherie Lunghi!) 

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
For  me this episode was a real   history  lesson ,! What EVIL &^%$$ that man  and his cronies were !

Slightly off topic ( as far as WDYTYA goes ), this shows exactly what they were like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)

Regards, Frank.

Ps, I enjoyed last nights episode, but to be honest I enjoy them all.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
Drat I missed it!  I was stuck at Heathrow.  Hoping to catch up with the Monday night repeat.  (Think it's on a Monday)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 September 13 15:21 BST (UK) »
Drat I missed it!  I was stuck at Heathrow.  Hoping to catch up with the Monday night repeat.  (Think it's on a Monday)

Monday night BBC1 five past eleven.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 September 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
It does seem that we are difficult to please  ;)

I thought it was very interesting. If you weren't around in the 1960s, you wouldn't know much about her perhaps and she was, in today's terms, an icon at that time. There were probably many convent girls aspiring to be like her!
As has been said, it is 'Who do you think you are?' and based on her experiences with her mother and her own difficulties with drugs etc, it may have helped her discover who she was by telling  a very sad, human (and inhuman) story.

Family history research provides us with lots of ancestors but these are often just names on a  tree. I have really liked the way this series has shown one or two people's lives in greater depth where the subject can then appreciate heroism, flaws and struggles in their ancestors.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk