Author Topic: IOS 7 and the iPad Mini  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
IOS 7 and the iPad Mini
« on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have an iPad mini and I'm now being offered an upgrade from IOS 6.1.3 to the completely re-vamped IOS 7, which has been downloadable for the last week.  I'm tempted to go ahead but cautious as it seems to make more sense for me to wait until the first upgrade so that any glitches that arise can be sorted - and a trawl on the Internet does seem to reveal that there area few glitches.

However I'm curious to know whether any RC ipad/ipad mini owners have gone ahead with the download and whether they are happy with it.

An Indecisive Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: IOS 7 and the iPad Mini
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Maggie, I would hold off for a while, there are quite a few people reporting errors with iOS7.  Not only that but once you do a major update like that, all the other apps you have will then have to be updated and it usually a catchup game.  Very frustrating!

Ipad mini might handle it better than my 2nd generation ipad, apple always slips in one or two side balls::)  and of course they never offer you a way back!

ps... I am doing the waiting game on my ipad and phone!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
I've done the upgrade and, touch wood, haven't had any gliches apart from one app which was quickly corrected.
Not sure that i like their new graphics though!
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts JC. Common sense has been telling me to hold back and I'm not actually sure I like all those flat new spangly icons anyway - I've become rather fond of the familiar shaded old ones  ;D

A lot of my apps have already updated themselves in readiness for the upgrade - Ancestry updated around three weeks ago, but as you say there are many that haven't caught up yet.

Like you I shall be patient and resist clicking  :)

Maggie

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 September 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
I've done the upgrade and, touch wood, haven't had any gliches apart from one app which was quickly corrected.

Were you a bag of nerves whist it was happening, mumjo?  You are braver than me I suspect  ;D

What sort of device did you upgrade to?

Maggie

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 September 13 12:59 BST (UK) »

I've carried out the upgrade on both iPad and phone , no problems with either, except as said the new graphics and use of bright colours does take some getting used to

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 September 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
I'm not bothering to upgrade as I don't think IOS 7 will give me anything new that I want. That little red circle with a "1" in it is bothering me though.  :(
Everyone in my family has upgraded their phones without any problems. It kept them entertained for a while and they said it was just like having a new phone. :)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 September 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
I have an ipad2 and I upgraded and everything went okay. Next day I took the ipad home to mom's rather than my lap top and was left without the use of the ipad. I could n't move the slider knob. My brother and me searched sony's site note useful. Tried googling lost ipad and found a solution. The ipad had frozen and there was a solution. If it happens you press the top right hand switch and the round menu button at the botton, then either you get a red slider button or it goes dark. If it goes dark you keep your fingers pressed till the apple logo comes on and then re can release the buttons and it resets itself, then you can get it to work wth the slider button! I did n't lose any data or photos. I found the solution on about.com and it said that people were having problems, obviously I did n't know at the time. Someone else I know there's froze but it updated overnight and was okayto her!. She'd tried to email sony about the problem but did n't get back

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 September 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
Sony? Ipad?  :-\