Author Topic: Could I be James IIII ?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could I be James IIII ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 October 13 04:23 BST (UK) »
I pop out shopping for a few hours and look what happens. The family is all sorted by Carol, keyboard and Annette.  ;D

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 October 13 04:30 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi Ruskie still a couple of problems ie locating Sarah Hughes prior to 1891 etc, also a Fisherman as an occupation for a father in the centre of London looks decidedly odd somehow?!!

Keyboard
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 October 13 04:40 BST (UK) »
I will have a look keyboard. :)*

I did just find James and Emma in 1911. As we are still not able to do lookups from the 1911, you might want to do so yourself as I believe it is still free to search the 1911?  :-\ Needless to say, if I hadn't seen keyboard's 1901 find for the family, I would be very confused with the information on the 1911.  ;)

* Sarah Hughes - got to be Welsh doesn't she?  ;D I have just skipped over the information found so far - is there anywhere that gives Sarah or her father Robert's place of origin?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 October 13 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, Whitechapel/Stepney, at her death in 1910 (if it is her) she gains an E for middle name?

Keyboard

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 October 13 05:17 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck. Have been concentrating on the 1871 in the hope that father Robert was still alive. Nothing concrete as yet ... will keep looking.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 October 13 05:25 BST (UK) »
On freebmd there are only 10 births registered for Sarah Hughes in Middlesex between Jun 1862 and Dec 1864. All except one have a middle name. Only one has the middle name Elizabeth registered Sept 1862 Staines (which is a bit further away than expected).
So not many of them but no way of knowing which, if any, is the correct Sarah.

Unless there is some documentation that she was born in Middlesex, she could have come from anywhere ....

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 October 13 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, just thinking before I go to bed, I just wonder 2 things Robert's occupation possibly a Fishman/Fish Salesman, the other a "made up name" by Sarah, there is a Sarah right sort of age/area with a father who is a Fish Salesman, but I think he was a John?

Keyboard

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 October 13 06:20 BST (UK) »
That adds more complications doesn't it?  :-\ Fish salesman seems quite specific so it may be worth following up.

Father as Robert may have been made up by Sarah or an error by the curate?

I don't understand why she would make up the father's name but keep the correct occupation though. Stranger things have happened I suppose ....  :-\

I will have a look for John the fish man.

Offline allatlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
A huge thank you to Ruskie, Keyboard, Carole and Annette for your amazing and helpful response. Spent most of the day trying to get my head around all the detail and having no luck using Freebmd. They won't accept my choice of criteria so I've given up. Must know I'm a 'newby'. Currently trying to put a 'tree' in order and checking dates where possible.

Regarding JWG the news vendor (sold papers at The Bank, City of London) facing steps of The Royal Exchange.  Have you seen the statue ~ the family said he 'served under Wellington'.  I don't have details of his birth but he set up the business following discharge from the army after the end of WWI and was aged 21 on his marriage to Emma Shrimpton on 14th Sept 1902. (Emma was 20 years old).

I need to get the knack of using Freebmd and looking up the Cencus ~ so far no luck. Any tips would be much appreciated if you have time. James