Author Topic: Brick wall, don't know where to look next - any and all ideas welcome!  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Scratchy907

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick wall, don't know where to look next - any and all ideas welcome!
« on: Monday 07 October 13 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for a birth record for William Hugh Dunbar Clayton (although the family believe he never used Dunbar and it may not have been recorded). Mother Surname was Middleton born sometime between 1911 and 1913 possibly in the Woolwich area as this is where the mother lived.

The problem I'm having is the fact that this is an illegitimate child and the father was married to another woman. I don't know if they were even truthful on the birth certificate. Mother was sent to Australia in disgrace and the grandparents raised the child.

He did join the RAF during the second world war, would he have had to supply a birth certificate for that? RAF have him registered as William Hugh Clayton which was how he was known to the family.

My grandfather believes his aunt was sent away to have the baby, but again I have no idea where to look. BMD searches bring up nothing. The only Middleton/Clayton birth between these dates was NOT the correct family.

If anyone can help I would be forever grateful!!!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall, don't know where to look next - any and all ideas welcome!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 October 13 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a birth that is a possibilty

Hugh W D Middleton (mothers name Middleton) Sept Qtr 1912 Croydon Reg District Vol 2a Page 670

Andy

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

What does his death cert/reference say about when he was born?

I agree with Andy's find. Too good NOT to buy the cert.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Scratchy907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 October 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Wow, yes thank you I hadn't seen this one. I have looked for so long now I guess you start to miss things..

Thanks again will definitely buy this cert to see if it's him!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Re the mother.

It looks like she is with a young Australian artist and his wife "in the period up to the birth".
I wonder if they persuaded her to start a new life and come back to Aus with them?
I wonder if he is the father and she followed him "back to Aus"?
I wonder if the father is a friend of theirs and she followed him "back to Aus"?
Etc., etc., etc.,

What proof is there that she actually WENT to Aus?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that has photos of him and his Mother Nellie Florence Middleton born 1891 Chelsea England died 1973 Brisbane she has 2 different husbands. William Hugh Dunbar Clayton born 1913 Warwickshire birth is just William Clayton and he died in the war 1943. The tree is jlochlacey. It also has her Parents. Let me know if you can see it Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
 I think this is him from the Commonwealth War Graves. Sergeant William Hugh Clayton Service No 1377386 Trade W.OP Air Gunner died 12 / 03 / 43 aged 30. Royal Air Force 149 Squadron. Cemetery Bergh ( Beek ) Roman Catholic Church Yard. Husband of Monica Ivy Clayton. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Scratchy907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you, this is him. I have all of this information about his life, just missing a birth record, the last piece of the puzzle, really.

Thanks again.  :-)

Offline Scratchy907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add that the birth in Warwickshire is incorrect - the tree on ancestry belongs to decendants of other children in Nellie's family and I ordered that BC and it was wasn't him. The family in Aus didn't know anything about him as Nellie wasn't completely truthful with them.

She definitely went to Australia, my grandfather visited her when he was in the Navy during the war. Willie Clayton grew up in London with my Grandfather but there was a 12 year difference in age and he doesn't remember too many details of Willie's early life as he was too young and nobody would have discussed that sort of scandal then anyway....