Author Topic: Worthing Sussex: DUTTON marriage & baptisms  (Read 2792 times)

Offline jlewis6537

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Worthing Sussex: DUTTON marriage & baptisms
« on: Wednesday 09 October 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

I've had no luck finding records for Worthing online, so maybe they don't exist. But, perhaps the rootschat wizards have a way. Looking for a marriage of Richard DUTTON, who was born about 1795 in St Bololph Aldgate, around 1830 probably to a Worthing girl. There would be baptisms for Louisa 1831, Elizabeth 1833, and possibly Mary 1835.

Judy
Reynolds, Knight, Brooks, Hearsey, Elliott, Nicholls, Braid, Ellington (England & Scotland)
Lewis, Putnam, Demory, Mason (US)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Worthing Sussex: DUTTON marriage & baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy, these folks seem a little illusive  :'(

I've checked The Sussex Marriage Index and there is no marriage for a Richard Dutton. I've also checked for baptisms in Sussex for the 3 children and can't find them either.

Do you have the family on any of the censuses? Do they say they were born in Sussex?
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jlewis6537

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
It's a bit of a muddle. Louisa (Galvin) in 1851 has the birthplace Worthing Surrey (not Sussex). Elizabeth is with (half) sister Emma in 1851, Holborn St Andrew, and her bp is Worthing. In 1841 Mary (Louisa) Dutton is with Louisa 10, Elizabeth 8, Mary 6, Emma 4 in St Mary Lambeth Surrey, and all are shown as born in the county.

We believe that Richard Dutton married and had Louisa, Elizabeth, and perhaps Mary in Worthing, then he married Mary Louisa Knight in 1836 in St Mary Haggerstone, and had Emma and possibly James Edgar (Richard was in an asylum in 1838, so the last child would require times out of the asylum or conjugal visits).

Was Worthing in Surrey at one time? I haven't found a Worthing in Surrey.

Judy
Reynolds, Knight, Brooks, Hearsey, Elliott, Nicholls, Braid, Ellington (England & Scotland)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

I was confused and couldn't find them on the censuses......and then I tracked down the 1841 and then I found your online public tree, so I have a clearer picture now. All I can say is that there are no Sussex baptisms or marriage for Richard (that I can find anyway)

She says Worthing Surrey on the 1861 census as well and another Ancestry member has made an amendment to the record. Worthing has never been in Surrey......it's on the Sussex coast.

I wondered if they were baptised in London, although I can't seem to find any records for them.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.
Best wishes HL

Offline jlewis6537

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you efforts, though. At least it confirms the lack of success of my feeble tries!

Judy

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you efforts, though. At least it confirms the lack of success of my feeble tries!

Judy

No Judy, all it confirms is that there is no record of the marriage or baptisms in Sussex  :)

There is nothing feeble about your tree, or the discoveries you've made so far.

Good luck. :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry Judy, I've just realised that it doesn't look as though the Worthing Parish Records are complete on the resource I was using.

Don't know if anyone can throw any light on where they can be accessed?
Best wishes HL

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 October 13 09:08 BST (UK) »
As the Galvin's son John was born in Ireland c1851 perhaps a search there might add something.  Bit of a long shot though.
The Worthing St Paul and Broadwater registers are at Chichester for that time but as they were obviously in the entertainment business they moved around a lot and it is entirely possible the children were not baptised at their birth places, if at all.
It is odd that Richard's occupation is shown as painter on Louisa's 1850 marriage certificate whereas the Richard you have in 1841 is an actor.  He seems to be an artist on her second marriage certificate.  Do you have other census records for him or more marriage certificates for the others?   
Any clues in the 1836 marriage?
The 1891 census clearly shows Louisa as born in the City of London.     That is a better bet than the Ireland of 1881!
It is interesting that other Ancestry trees on this family have fallen into the classic mistake of clicking the wrong venue for the 1850 marriage.  Waterloo in USA!   Done by one and then copied by the rest.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 October 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you discounted the possibility that there was no 1830 marriage at all?

It's possible that Richard and Mary Louisa Knight had three children together prior to their marriage in 1836.  Seems very coincidental that two children of the first marriage (?) would have the same names - Mary and Louisa - as the second wife.

Jann