Author Topic: Father of Thomas Smith born Hanslope, Northamptonshire, England  (Read 9067 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Thomas Smith born Hanslope, Northamptonshire, England
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 October 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola.

Whoops had to edit my post as wrong family.

The Wicken P.R. Baptisms has a page 66 which has from no. 525
to 528 either un-readable or blank.

The previous entry is for Feb 8 next page 67 starts Feb 15.

Therefore unable to help with the baptism.

Sorry.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 October 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy

Thanks for looking anyway. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline :sjl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 October 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
 Thanks to all for your help, greatly appreciated

I have just got an upgrade on my computer, otherwise I would have repsonded to you sooner.

I love all of the discussions.

but am at a loss to know EXACTLY what you would like me to do NOW....

I have order those baptism for 1760 - 1860 for Smith as Nicola requested.

so I am willing NOW to spend some more money, but not just for A ONE PERSON look up....I prefer more bang for my buck.

but if ONE PERSON is what is needed, just tell me WHAT you want me to do and I will see about following your directions.

Look forward to learning more about the SMITH family and hopefully with your help, finding the CORRECT FAMILY.

once again thanks for your help..... :D

Sharon Lamb

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 October 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
Look forward to learning more about the SMITH family and hopefully with your help, finding the CORRECT FAMILY.

once again thanks for your help..... :D

Sharon Lamb

I think you'll find the concensus amongst several of us is that your Thomas is the one from Thornton, Buckinghamshire in Passenham on the 1851 Census with new wife Hannah Jones nee Bailey.  He was a shoemaker whose father it would appear was a gamekeeper according to the 1841 Census for that Thornton family, but the Bucks FHS search should confirm that he is the son of that family (assuming any son of theirs wasn't buried as an infant but you'd need a Bucks FHS burial search for that).

If that's the case, it would probably be worth your while to purchase the death certificate of the Eliza Smith I quoted earlier to see if it definately confirms she's Eliza Read.  OK I know you don't like purchasing for just one entry but sorry you will have to do that occasionally as no other way to get the information.  That should definately confirm she died before the 1851 Census.  If it's not her husband who is the informant, chances are it would be one of her relatives as that Eliza Smith is buried in Wicken.

As for the Lillingstone Dayrell family, well I think as Marilyn has confirmed from the 1849 marriage in the parish, that isn't your family.

Going forward (or backwards as the case is) from there assuming the search confirms your Thomas was from Thornton, Buckinghamshire, well you'll have to purchase other baptism/marriage/burial searches from Bucks FHS to follow the lines backwards unless you are able to get to the Records Office.  Coverage on the IGI is patchy and can't be relied upon, so the only option really (until perhaps the day the records appear online, if ever) is the searches from Bucks FHS which I gather are now complete for the whole county.

Another option would be the corresponding marriage certificate for the Thomas Smith/Sarah Mitchell marriage in 1847 that Marilyn has mentioned as that is most likely your Thomas' father remarrying.  That would then confirm his father's name in case there are more than one Smith family in Whaddon.

Tedious I know confirming the correct lines, and costs money, but at least you'd have some certainty you have the correct family.  It's a matter of confirming each generation as best you can before moving on to another.  The baptism search will help but you will need the corresponding marriage and burial's search to be able to conclusively confirm the members of the family.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline :sjl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 October 13 03:47 BST (UK) »
Nicola:

Thanks for your reply

just tried to print it up so I can follow it easier, but we got a new router today and we need to reinstall the printer, at least that is what I THINK needs to be done.

we got optic tv too, so there is too much information trying to fill in all the empty pockets in my husband and my brain to try and figure it out tonight, so it will need to wait till tomorrow

just wanted to let you know I got your latest.

Talk to you tomorrow

:sjl

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 October 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Nicola.  :)

The only way to confirm a person's lineage is as you say by buying the relevant
certificates.

Much better if you can purchase a copy on Anc**** or your local Library in
our case for 80p each against £9+ from the G.R.O.

Lets hope the rightful Thomas Smith is solved.

Another link for Bucks Marriages would be here, just search database.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lx0/

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 October 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
The only way to confirm a person's lineage is as you say by buying the relevant
certificates.

I totally agree, particularly with a common surname such as Smith.  I know it can be difficult deciding which is the correct certificate but part and parcel of research unfortunately.  I'm sure we've all managed to purchase the wrong certificate at some time or other over the years, I know I have.  However, at least with documentary evidence for each generation, you at least know you've got the correct family. ;D

Much better if you can purchase a copy on Anc**** or your local Library in
our case for 80p each against £9+ from the G.R.O.

Have to be lucky for that unfortunately, so few people appear to be purchasing certificates these days to confirm research.  This is the issue with the trees that have Thomas Smith and Eliza Read listed on them, none have them have anything to back up their theory which I'm sure is incorrect.  But then the couple are sidelines for most of these people as far as I can see, so less likely people would purchase the certificates to confirm sidelines because of the cost involved.  As you say, necessary for your own directline otherwise how can you be sure you have the correct family. ???

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 12 October 13 09:46 BST (UK) »
Have you discovered the family history section in Milton Keynes library ?
They have microfiche going back years in all the local villages.

I also found for me, also researching a common surname was a single vilage study. I spent hours trawling the relevant 1840 cencus. Hanslope is not big. if you trawl the whole cencus and record each smith and family group it may make more sense.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 October 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Have you discovered the family history section in Milton Keynes library ?
They have microfiche going back years in all the local villages.

I also found for me, also researching a common surname was a single vilage study. I spent hours trawling the relevant 1840 cencus. Hanslope is not big. if you trawl the whole cencus and record each smith and family group it may make more sense.

Good suggestion but the original poster lives in British Columbia so not really an option. ;)  In any case, it looks now likely Hanslope isn't the birthplace of the correct Thomas Smith, Thornton is.