Author Topic: Thomas FARR baptism query, Foleshill  (Read 2004 times)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas FARR baptism query, Foleshill
« on: Monday 14 October 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
I have a query regarding a possible baptism for my 4 x great grandfather, Thomas Farr/Fare/Fayer. I know from later census data and other sources relating to the time when he was living in Cornwall after leaving the Royal Marines, that he was born c.1790 in Coventry and that his father was a miner called Thomas Farr.
 The only possible baptism I have been able to find for him is in Foleshill (which I understand is near to Coventry?). However, the parish register shows the baptism of Thomas Farr, son to Thomas O'Hayre and Hannah O'Hayre. Am I looking at a middle name here (none of the other baptism entries on the page show middle names) or could this be the Thomas Farr I'm looking for?  If so, why would he have a different name from his parents?  Any help much appreciated
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas FARR baptism query, Foleshill
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 October 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Hannah O'Hayre was previously a Farr - could you find her marriage to check?

Was Thomas a baby baptism or was he an older child?  If older maybe Thomas O' wasn't his real father  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 October 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Milliepede for the suggestions  :) I have tried various combinations of names for his parents' marriage in the past without success, but you have prompted me to look again! If the baptism is the one I am looking for then Thomas would definitely have been a baby as I know from his 2nd marriage cert. and his death cert. that he was born 1790.

Best wishes
Dorothy
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 October 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry couldn't be of more help but good luck hope one day it all falls into place  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help  :)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could he have been adopted, are there any other children for the O'Hayre's

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is the record from Familysearch

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQT2-75F

Have you seen the actual record, has it is transcribed differently on this records, it looks like a doubled barrelled name to me, and very often along the line, they lose one of them along the way, I have had situations where they have used, either or, which make the research difficult.

Other than that, it may be a mistake, when it was entered in the register by the Vicar  I believe these were just written down on a piece of paper, then entered later in the register and are prone to error's

Margp

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this link. I hadn't seen this particular familysesrch record! I had only seen the record for O'Hayre on familysesrch and on Ancestry but, as you say, this entry looks much more like a double barrelled name for Thomas. I think I will keep this record as a 'definite maybe' for the time being.

Many thanks for your help.  :)

Dorothy

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 10:19 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the mis-spelling of familysearch - can't get used to the keyboard on this tablet computer  :o