Author Topic: Mary Elizabeth Phillips 1901 Census  (Read 7559 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mary Elizabeth Phillips 1901 Census
« on: Saturday 19 October 13 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Could someone check the 1901 census for Mary Elizabeth Phillips b1877 in Croydon please.

In 1891 she is a Servant age 14 in St James Ecclesiastical Parish in Croydon as Mary E Phillips.

In 1901 there is a Mary D Phillips (according to familysearch) age 23 & a servant in exactly the same ecclesiastical parish (St James) & place (Croydon), are they the same person? Mary E or Mary D?

It looks like she married a Frederick Thomas Gentry in 1906 in Croydon, but haven't found her in 1901 as yet, unless the above possible is her.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Elizabeth Phillips 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Frederick Thomas Gentry and Mary Elizabeth Phillips took place on the 3 Aug 1906 at St Saviour's Church, Croydon. Mary Elizabeth PHILLIPS was aged 29 and a spinster, living at 73 Beverstone Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey. Frederick was age 29 and living at number 67, and was a bachelor and a sign writer. Mary's father was a George Thomas PHILLIPS, a decorator. Witnesses were George Thomas PHILLIPS and Ellen Louise PHILLIPS.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 October 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi haliared,

Many thanks indeed for that, however, I can now see that that marriage is not hers. My gt gt aunt Mary Elizabeth's father was Robert Phillips, a builder.

This is just getting more & more confusing!

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 October 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
David, do you know for sure that she married?  Looking at the 1901 census that you mentioned it's definitely a 'D' but "D' & 'E' do sound the same so could be an enumerator mistake,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Many thanks indeed for your reply, very much appreciated.

I don't know for certain that she married. I been trying to ascertain as to whether she did or not as finding her in 1901 & 1911 census returns has been difficult. Having checked the death indexes, there is no matching death, therefore she must be somewhere!

I had initially thought that a marriage in Richmond reg dist in 1898 to either Frederick Chamberlain or Walter George Barlow was possibly her, then I spotted the 1906 marriage in Croydon, which I thought was more likely, but now know that it isn't her marriage. The Richmond one I don't know if it is or not!

Just to complicate matters more, I have now found another possible for Mary in 1901(on familysearch), age 24 born not known in surrey, a servant in Brighton, Sussex.

This Phillips family of mine have been driving me nuts just lately! Changing names around or only using one of their names! All part of the fun of family research I guess!

Kind regards

David

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 October 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
You can discount the marriage Q1 1898, Richmond.  This Mary married Walter George Barlow.  In 1911 it says she's from Hartford Bridge (not sure where that is) & she was born about 1862.
There's also a marriage Q4 1908, Kingston.  This Mary married Henry Heinken & 1911 gives her a DOB of about 1880, Lambeth, London.
I did notice on the 1911 census that her widowed father, Robert, states that one child had died, might this be Mary?  It's worth following up what happened to her siblings as she might appear as a witness on one of their marriages.  I'll dig a bit deeper & let you know,

Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 October 13 18:07 BST (UK) »
David, did you notice that on the 1901 & 1911 census that Robert, Mary's father, had two grandchildren with him?  Edith Phillips born about 1895 & Cyril born about 1900, both born Croydon.  I've found a baptism for Edith, Edith May Phillips baptised 5/4/1895, All Saints, South Lambeth, no father's name but mother's name, Mary Phillips of 41 Jeffreys Rd.
Not been so lucky with Cyril except he was registered as Cyril Everest Phillips Q1 1900, Croydon RD.  Married Harriet Scott, Q3 1925, Croydon RD.  Died 1953.
It might have some bearing on the problem of finding Mary,

Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 October 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Just checked the address, 41 Jeffreys Rd & it was a maternity hospital,

Deeply concerned with the high death rate of mothers during childbirth, Dr. Annie McCall established a school of midwifery in her own home at 165 Clapham Road in 1885.

In 1889 she opened the Clapham Maternity Hospital at 41-43 Jeffreys Road (there was also a Battersea branch at 31-33 Albert Bridge Road which had opened in 1892).

Jane

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated indeed.

Many thanks for checking 1898 marriage. Yes i was aware that there were 2 grandchildren (Edith & Cyril) with Robert in 1901 but I wasn't aware that they were still with him in 1911, neither was I aware that 1 child had died. This must be Mary Elizabeth as the other 6 children are all married & are accounted for in 1911.

The baptism re Edith May Phillips is probably her as you suggest, although 1901 has Edith's place of birth as Kensington, London. Interesting about the Jeffery's Road address being a maternity hospital.

Have looked through the death index records on freebmd for a death for Mary between 1895 & 1911 & have found nothing.

This just seems to be getting more & more intriguing or confusing, whichever way you want to look at it! ;D

For info the full line up of children of Robert & Fanny are:

William Osborne Phillips (1874-1943) m Amelia Hibbert in 1900 (Sometime appears as just Osborne)
Caroline Ivy Phillips (1875-1959) m Edgar George Firman in 1900 & Austin J Hartley in 1923 (sometimes appears as just Ivy, also a recent Rootschat topic on this lady)
Rebecca Daisy Phillips (1875-?) m William Archibald Barnett in 1903 (sometimes appears as just Daisy & marriage indexed as Daisy Rebecca)
Mary Elizabeth Phillips (1877-?)
Sarah Mildred Phillips (1878-1954) m Albert William Duly in 1908 (Sometimes appears as just Mildred)
Louisa Florence Phillips (1881-1962) Never married. Sometimes appears as either Florence Louisa or just Louisa.
Robert Sydney Phillips (1884-1955) m Florence Kate Hussey in 1910 (Sometimes appears as just Sydney, my gt grandparents)

Many thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David