Author Topic: Grahame CAMPBELL of Kilmory, Loch Gilphead, Glassary  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grahame CAMPBELL of Kilmory, Loch Gilphead, Glassary
« on: Wednesday 23 October 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me find any info on the family of my gt gt grandfather James Campbell born Kilmory 1808 to parents Grahame Campbell and Hannah (nee Ran) ? I'm really stuck. Grahame is listed on James' wedding certificate as a cook, which seems an odd thing to be at Kilmory in those days!  Grahame and Hannah's children are: Eliza b.1805
                                                                                          Peter b.1806
                                                                                          James b.1808 and
                                                                                          Grahame Daore b.1811
Is Daore a Gaelic name/word?
I've checked Kilmory Graveyard (not physically, I'm in Australia) but can't find any Campbells with these christian names.
Its possible that Grahame's parents were either Duncan Campbell and Christian Macilvory, or John Campbell and Margaret Campbell.
My gt gt grandfather became a coppersmith and left Scotland, but I believe some or all of the rest of the family remained in the Loch Gilphead area.
Unfortunately, we've lost all knowledge of them!
Thanks for any help, as I can't find them in 1841 Census either.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grahame CAMPBELL of Kilmory, Loch Gilphead, Glassary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Billiegirl and welcome to Rootschat

Have you tried Scotlands People site?  It is excellent though with limited free searching and then pay for full details.

www.scotlandpeople.gov.uk

I have CAMPBELLS from Argyllshire ... been a nightmare looking for them but are slowly piecing info together. 
Good luck
Bonnie

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grahame CAMPBELL of Kilmory, Loch Gilphead, Glassary
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 06:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bonnie. Yes, I got the baptism records from SP, but now find it only comes up with records I've  already found, which cost me a credit to open. The records for (I think) Grahame's parents which I got from SP about 18 months ago don't even appear any more! That's why I'm trying this site.
 If you're making headway with your Campbells, it gives me hope. I wish they didn't all have recurring names!