Author Topic: What became of Richard Evans?  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of Richard Evans?
« on: Wednesday 23 October 13 15:32 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Trying to knock down a brick wall - can anyone help?

Richard was one of eight children born to John Evans and his wife Elinor (nee Williams) - both parents originated from Llangwyllog but lived mainly at Ty Newydd, Finger, Llanedwen.

John and Elinor married in 1835 at Llanddyfnan and their first 4 children were born there with the later four being born in Llanedwen. John was the Village Blacksmith (died in 1865).

The last census detail I can find for Richard is in 1871 when he was 12 years old. The suspicion is he emigrated but I have no other information and can find no trace.

Other members of the family appear on the various censuses but Richard isn't there.

Any help to find out what happened to him would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Alan

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Richard Evans?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
Possible Richard Evans aged 22,occupation joiner lodging with a Evan and Jane Jones at 52,Orient Street Everton England ????

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 08:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the suggestion , but it isn't him - "your Richard" was from the parish of Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog and in the 1871 census was at home with his parents Richard and Margaret. His elder brother John Evans was a Joiner, so I suspect he followed him into that trade.

Alan

Offline Seashellcafe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
I realise that the age is wrong + 10 years, but could he be the Richard Evans married to Elizabeth (possibly nee Williams), in the 1911 Census living at Cefn Bach Llanedwen?
Occupation = Carter on Farm.
If you are a member of Ancestry.co.uk to find the record it may be best to search for Evan Hugh Evans, born 1888 in Llanfair.

Hope this may be of some help?

I forgot to mention that reference the age discrepancy, the 1911 Census Form was completed by Evan Hugh Evans, so maybe there was a communication error?

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look into it but at first glance this Richard and Elizabeth in 1901 had children called Mary (age 18) and Daniel (age 15). Address - Victoria Cottage.

Going back through the censuses to 1851, this Richard's parents seem to be Daniel and Mary - I would tend to think that as he seems to have given his children, his parents christian names - it's most likely not to be the Richard I am trying to find.

Thanks again for the idea.

Alan 

Offline stephenllanber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 13 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan.

I am looking at possible locations of an Inn or brewery in Llanedwen where my ancestors lived in the 1780s, it was called Penygroes or Penygroeslon.

Because of the location of Ty Newydd it is possible it was built on the original site of the above Inn.

Do you know when Ty Newydd was built?

I have found Fingar Farm and Ty Newydd on a map dated 1889. I also have checked census returns for 1841 and cannot find Ty Newydd for that year.

regards

Stephen

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,

I have replied to you on your other posting concerning Penygroes, Llanedwen.

Alan

Offline ManyLines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 22 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello! I have just come back from Llanedwen parish church, found Finger farm on a survey map, and for some reason, I have a death certificate for Richard from the US. I am not certain why, and I will go back to the drawing board on this. That being said, it appears Evans - while being a massively common name in Wales - is relatively rare in the graveyards where they lived (I visited Llanedwen, Llangeinwen, and Llangwyllog and found only three Evans).

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It is quite a while since I posted this topic and looking again it seems that others have since found and suggested on their trees that Richard died in Pennsylvania, U S A in 1912. They also suggest a marriage to Sophia Loeffler in Michigan in 1881.

Is this the death for which you have a certificate? Would appreciate details

Alan