Author Topic: Death Certificate - Medical Terminology  (Read 2989 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Death Certificate - Medical Terminology
« on: Thursday 24 October 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
I recently ordered my Great-Great Uncles death certificate for three reasons; one was that I was unsure of his exact place of birth and being as he died in 1971 I knew a DC would show this, the other was in order to find out his address and informant and the other was out of curiosity for his actual cause of death bearing in mind he allegedly died in a pub. Bearing in mind it says he was dead on arrival at Truro hospital, and lived in Fowey, all the places and stories would match, however I was wondering whether someone might be able to give me a bit more of an insight into the circumstances from the actual cause of death listed on the certificate?

"Pontine haemorrhage associated with cerebral arteriosclerosis and hypertensive heart disease."

My main question really, is whether his death could have been brought on by excessive drinking or whether he had relatively normal 'old age' symptoms and happened to be in a pub when he died?

Thanks!

Henning

Offline Grafe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate - Medical Terminology
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 October 13 00:57 BST (UK) »

Hard to say. He died of a brain haemorrhage associated with hardening of his arteries and high blood pressure. This is not an unusual cause of death.

Without knowing more about his particular medical history all would be just speculation.
Warren, Warwick, Andersen, Mensforth, Cowell, Hall, Scott, Cooper, Bradley

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'd agree with Grafe.
How old was he when he died?
Do you know that he drank excessively? Or are you just surmising?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on this. He was 60 when he died and like his other brothers I think he was quite a drinker! Nevertheless the fact he was in a pub may not have necessarily meant he had an alcohol related death, just that he was often there.

I imagine that 60 is still a fairly justified age to have these sorts of problems?

Henning

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I imagine that 60 is still a fairly justified age to have these sorts of problems?
Henning

Yes - some people even have these problems in their late forties, depending on their lifestyle and genetics.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)