Author Topic: James Strachan shoemaker Aberdeen  (Read 11833 times)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Strachan shoemaker Aberdeen
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
ah, I just have the one from Banchory, where Margaret Adm was the school mistress.  I didn't think of looking at the other one.  I didn't realise a marriage could be registered in 2 places and didn't think to look at the other!  here goes . .

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
It is registered in Old Machar presumably because that is where he was living at the time  of his marriage, Windmillbrae. sadly this record gives no clue as to his origins either.   He moved into 27 Virginia St in 1827 and next door lived a George Strachan,  maybe this is his brother. . .   

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
The Strachan's had 6 children as far as I can see on Familysearch - Jane, William, James, John, David and Robert. David is not on the 1841 Census although he would have been approx. 9 so he must have died. The older children are not on 1841 with family either. The older boys would have been approx. 14 and 13. Could they be with relatives?

Looby :)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 October 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
thank you.   yes they had these 6.  Jane died as a baby.  I think Margaret's mother was Jane Leighton, though on hr death record, disappointingly she is called "bell" but I am still going with Jane as I have found this family's history and can find no trace of a Isobel leighton marrying a William Adam.   anyway, that's another thing . . . back to husband James.  Their 2 sons, William and james were at the Gordon's school in Aberdeen.   David had died so only John and Robert were at home.  he also died. John James and William survived and grew to adulthood.  John also became a shoe maker in Aberdeen.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 October 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
Ah,
I saw the two boys at Gordon's School and wondered if it could have been the two sons. James must have been quite financially well off if his boys were at boarding school.
Does William live in the same street as his mother at the time of the 1851 Census?
Sorry I can't be of more help  :-\
Only other thing I can think of are records relating to his profession- which by the sounds of it you may already have looked into.
And lastly if Margaret Adam was the school mistress in Banchory and was born there (per her 1851 Census record) how did James know her/ meet her. Could he be from same area and have moved to Aberdeen for work??
Good luck with your search,

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 October 13 07:54 BST (UK) »
thank you. I believe that the Gordon's Hospital School provided for the education of sons and grandsons of Bugesses of the Aberdeen Trades Guild, of which James Strachan was Dean. there will have been bursaries I suppose.  this Guild  also provided a widow's pension for Margaret when he died, at the early age of 46, leaving her with 4 young boys, in 1842, so he was not in the 1851 census.  I believe she was born in Kincardine O'Neil which was, according to SP in the Aberdeen county.  but if james was born outside that county, he could have still been born somewhere near her.   I need to look at an old county map!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 October 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/
Have you looked at this website. Just click on the Browse scanned pages below For Non Subscribers then type in location - you should then have the option to click on 2 different reports. Might give you a better idea of the areas :-\

Margaret appears to have been born 1790 in Kincardine O'Neil (O'Niel) and had at least 3 brothers - Alexander b.1786 , David b.1788 and Duncan Forbes Mitchel b.1793. This last son appears to have been named after a local landowner. I would agree her mother is Jane Leighton/Lighton especially as she named her first daughter Jane. Can I ask what year you had for the death of 'Bell' ADAMS?

You say Banchory-Ternan, in Kincardineshire was where Margaret lived and taught, and this is the Parish she married in - I still think it likely this is where she met James Strachan. But how to prove it! ???

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 October 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
You might get some luck with the Shoemakers in Aberdeen.  They are part of the Seven Incorporated Trades, and their records are held at the Trades Hall.  You can find about the Shoemakers at www.seventradesofaberdeen.co.uk/shoemakers and write to them at:

Seven Incorporated Trades of Aberdeen
Trinity Hall
Trinity Corner
Holburn Street
Aberdeen
AB10 6DA

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 October 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
i agree with all you said about Margaret Adams and her siblings.  Several descendants have published trees and have information about this family who farmed at Easter Beltie.   it was on Margaret Strachan or Adams' death record on 17th November 1865, this is her and I have her will, that the record states that the informant is John Strachan (her son) and her parents were William Adams(farmer) and Bell Leighton.   but I can't find anything for a marriage between two people of this name, but the surname Leighton, corresponds with everything else I find about this family.   Jane Leighton herself had had a sibling, a Isobel born in 1771 but there is nothing more about an Isobel so I presume she died and I wondered if Jane had been given this name as a pet name or middle name, and used it.  However, I have looked up the deaths of Margaret siblings and on their records, father is William Adams farmer and mother jane Leighton or Lighton . . .