Author Topic: Arrival by Sunderland plane Sydney - Auckland 1949 COMPLETED  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Helenw52

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Arrival by Sunderland plane Sydney - Auckland 1949 COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 26 October 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for the date of arrival to New Zealand. Kenneth Chong and his new bride. The traveled from Hong Kong to Sydney; and the flew on to Auckland. Looking for their Hong Kong marriage certificate as well. All I know is that they married in H K, just as the border to China was closing. Does anyone have an idea what month in 1949 this was?

Main question is, where would airplane passenger records be held?
Chinese in New Zealand 1880-1960s - from Canton Province - Chan, Wong

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival by Sunderland plane Sydney - Auckland 1949
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Helenw52

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for where the airplane records would be held in NZ - Would they be at Archives NZ? I have only seen shipping lists.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You already have another post on this topic (see above) which has received quite a number of replies.

Having the same post here only results in duplicated info/efforts.

Whatever additional info you need should be asked on the other post for continuity
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 October 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I'm very doubtful that there will be any records of passengers on commercial flights. Even from the early days of flights to New Zealand they were so ubiquitous and became so frequent that only high-status celebrities (Royalty, the Beatles, etc.) would ever rate a mention on arrival.

But have you approached Archives New Zealand, or National Library in case information was submitted by airlines?

It's a very interesting question. Why not contact Air new Zealand and ask them if such records might be held, where and by whom. I suspect the answer is 'they aren't', but you never know.

But I think you may never find the answer to your question, unless someone in the family knows.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 October 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have posted on the Aussie Board, and just popping in here to mention that last evening I spoke with a friend who has had a long career in Admin with the QF flying machines  ;D    I asked about the passenger lists and where held and for how long and where to get access etc.   

You may well run into privacy issues IF the manifests are actually ever archived.   BUT my friend did offer a suggestion that may help  :)   so I share here as it may involve NZ passport.

In 1948 in UK laws were changed to allow the dominions the right to afford their citizens, CITIZENSHIP of their own nation, so Passports issued by each dominion were no longer simply passports issued to "British Subjects" on behalf of the United Kingdom, but by/in accord with each dominion's own parliament's laws. (JM edited that sentence hopefully to make it read a tad better).   In Australia those changes were effective from 26 Jan 1949, so Australian Citizenship dates from then.    Neither of us know how/when NZ sorted out that step in Citizenship.

So the question my friend suggests could well be:

What travel documents were our OPs parents travelling on in 1949, and what administration has retained any archival material of that travel through various jurisdictions....  My friend even suggested they may have transshipped in Singapore en route to NZ.     Were they travelling on a Hong Kong passport?  (perhaps our OP's mum was added onto Kenneth's on their marriage?)  Were they travelling on an NZ passport?  Were they travelling emergency/diplomatic paperwork?   

http://www.atlasofbritempire.com/uploads/BE_Passports.png

Very interesting topic.   I am happy to follow it across several boards, as each nation's locals will hopefully have a greater depth of local knowledge as to how to find the various pieces of the puzzle to help the OP.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Helenw52

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 October 13 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM and Spades. Kenneth was born in NZ and went "home" to China in 1949, to marry his bride. They left just as the borders were being closed. I am assuming 1 October 1949, as that is when the Communist Party took over China. His death certificates says he married in HK, at age 24 -but doesn't mention the month. He will have traveled as a New Zealander - on a NZ Passport or would it have been as a British subject? as mentioned By JM.

His wife did not get citizenship until a few years after Kenneth died. She was an alien until then - so must have entered on an alien passport?

Good news - I have just looked up archways for access to aliens - These files are not available to researchers until 100 years from the date of birth of the person documented in the file or until the death of the person documented in the file. But as my Mum has passed away, maybe I can find everything in her alien file.

Again Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help.

pS - When we fill in departure and arrival forms today - where does that information go?

Offline Helenw52

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival by Sunderland plane Sydney - Auckland 1949 Completed
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 November 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Haven't been able to locate air passenger arrivals, nor marriage certificate. As I am working on another avenue, this can now be closed. Thanks everyone

Offline Helenw52

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival by Sunderland plane Sydney - Auckland 1949 COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Eureka - they arrived 28 November 1949. I always thought it was a Sunderland and therefore arrival was Mechanics Bay. The records show they arrived by the "Tasman Plane" - What that means, I don't know. Maybe they arrived at Whenuapai.