Author Topic: Tracing Thomas Halberts Ancestry  (Read 20672 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Thomas Halberts Ancestry
« Reply #72 on: Monday 03 November 14 02:36 GMT (UK) »
An interesting snippet about Painter Heugh:

http://hiddennewcastle.homestead.com/files/Hidden_Newcastle__Subterranean_Newcastle_.pdf

The 1827 Historical Account of Newcastle upon Tyne including Gateshead says that interment in the Ballast Hills Burial Ground had a very moderate cost as no funeral service is read, though sometimes a prayer or exhortation may be read. It also says there are more burials in Ballast Hills than in all the church yards in the town. I had assumed the converse would the case.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 06:55 GMT (UK) »
It certainly paints a picture of what it was like all that time ago. I wonder if there are old pictures of the place.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline jpcooper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have stumbled across this thread thanks to Google while trying to find a bit more information about my Halbert ancestors.

My 4x great grandfather was John Halbert - a cork cutter in Gateshead. John is mentioned in this thread.

I have some information about him and some of his descendants (obviously more detailed information about the branch that I am part of) but am struggling to get much further back.

I need to re read this thread with my notes in front of me, but it would be good to compare notes some time to see if there is new information there.

Many thanks
John

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
hi jpcooper and welcome to rootschat. :)

when you have made a few more posts eg  about a particular person you need info on,or commenting on info already given,  you will be able to contact other members by pm and vice versa.

it is obviously more helpful for you and others if you use open posts      unless living people are involved. 
Rootschat has a policy about not mentioning living people.

hope this helps and good luck

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Selden has found a tremendous amount of info about the Halberts. Ive managed to put the names, dates etc into my genealogy programme.

Given the size of the families there is still a lot more to find.

Ive also bene looking at William and Alison/Alice Halberts (nee Potts) marriage in Scotland. I have the marriage certificate and also Alisons fathers marriage certificate and some baptisms of other people we believe are her siblings.

Like the English Halberts Williams parents arent at this stage known nor his place of birth or anything

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Welcome to Rootschat. You will find some info abt John the cork cutter in this thread,  gathered by others than just me, particularly Revolution.

In short, you will see from this thread that we think John's parents were William Halbert, a tailor, and his wife Sarah, surname as yet unknown (though Revolution may have made progress there?). It is possible that Revolution's colourful ancestor, Thomas Halbert, was a younger brother of John the cork cutter. Much of this thread seeks to resolve that question.

William Halbert, father of John the cork cutter, was one of children of William Halbert and Alice Potts, as per Revolution's message above.  One of John's children by his second marriage went to seek his fortunes in the gold fields of Australia. Any information you have about John or any of the Halberts would be very helpful in terms of filling out the picture.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selden

Sadly not any progress on the marriage. I now have the official register of the marriage plus the marriage certificate.

It says William Jr was "of this parish". It also says he was a gentleman.

This is the best fit for a marriage but the details dont add up. The church itself wasnt the normal church that Williams siblings and parents went to. Why was William in London marrying someone? Was he there on business or trying to set up a business? Was it a shotgun wedding? Williams own children were baptised in multiple different churches but all followed the family religion.

Why did William Jr the tailor die without funds? What happened?

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 22 March 15 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Revolution

Sorry for the delay in getting back - has been a chaotic couple of weeks at work and no sign of easing up yet.

Yes, the marriage is a puzzle. Also, what happened to Joseph, another son of William senior & Alice, and still alive at the time of William senior's will.

There was a constant stream of colliers going back and forth between Newcastle and London, and you will recall that George Potts Halbert, the master mariner, ended up living in London. Perhaps William Halbert junior (father of John the cork cutter) found his way to London at some point, perhaps in search of economic opportunity, even as a tailor.

I share your question mark, however, about whether your William would describe himself as a gentleman. Have you had a chance to try tracing the William Halbert who married Sarah Kemp in London forward, to see if he can be otherwise accounted for, i.e. whether he is a different person?

A pity John has not come back. Some of the information he has could possibly have led back via a different route and revealed something new.

Will be in touch as soon as I come across anything that may be of use to you.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 26 March 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi SelDen

We know Joseph died in 1838 in Newcastle upon Tyne but it seems strange he didnt get married and there are no other events in his life. In the same year a Mary Halbert also died.

I did do a search for William and Sarah Halbert in London and around London but never found them. Ill have to have another look to see if I missed something the first time

John Potts Jr ended up in London after living in Scotland as a chemist and druggist.