Author Topic: Family Tree DNA/23 & Me  (Read 913 times)

Offline squinn5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peristence is the key
    • View Profile
Family Tree DNA/23 & Me
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if there is another post as there are so many to look through, but wondering if there is anyone in Australia who has ordered a DNA kit from either Family Tree DNA or 23 and me?

My question relates to the delivery charge: For Family Tree DNA - it appears the delivery charge is $7.00US (sent via USPS First-Class Mail International), where as 23 & me is $74.95 (which includes return shipping and customs).

Has anyone in Australia used either? For Family Tree DNA - what was the shipping/postage cost back to the US?

Regards

Sandra
Baker, King, Rice - Boxford, Suffolk, Baldwin - Bures St Mary, Suffolk
Richer - Thorpe-Le-Soken & Colchester, Essex
Pritty - Wivenhone Essex, St Martin Colchester, Essex
Scutcher/Cutchey - Great Bentley & Great Clacton, Essex

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree DNA/23 & Me
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I've ordered kits from both FTDNA and 23andMe to go to the UK. 23andMe send out their kits by Fedex so the shipping includes the cost of the return courier. The instructions are not very clear in their packaging and I had to find my local Fedex branch online and ring them up with the reference number and arrange for them to pick up the package once I'd done the test. With FTDNA you have to pay for your return postage but from the UK it didn't cost very much and was certainly much less than the sterling equivalent of $7. If you are asked to fill out a customs form you should write "genealogical kit" or "genealogical sample" on the form. There is further information on shipping costs here:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Shipping_DNA_kits
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree DNA/23 & Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Sandra,
Postage costs to send the FTDNA samples back to the USA from Australia is also about AUD$7. I think on the customs declaration I wrote DNA sample (the girl in the post office was amused).