Author Topic: Trying to trace 19C adoption  (Read 983 times)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace 19C adoption
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
My widowed Gt Grandmother married George William Frampton, widower, in Chorlton in 1909. I'm looking into George Frampton and first wife Mary E Adams' adoption of George F Woodcock (for a descendant unable to do her own research) who is living with them in South Manchester in 1901. George Woodcock's birth is recorded as c1893 Harrogate, Yorkshire. As he married under the surname Frampton in 1916 I am wondering whether the adoption was official and therefore theoretically traceable? George Frampton and Mary are fellow lodgers in the 1891 Leeds Census.

Not much to go on, I know. But if anyone has any ideas where more records might be found I'd love to be able to find out more and pass any info on to George Woodcock's descendant.  :-\ :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace 19C adoption
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
The 1926 Adoption Act which came into effect 1st January 1927 was the first Act legalising adoptions. Prior to that children were just handed over with mainly a verbal agreement and, at best, a declaration setting out the child's change of identity was drawn up by a solicitor, but it was by no means a legally binding document. Adoption was viewed as an essentially private arrangement between the parties concerned. The term "adopted" generally included fostering and guardianship.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
It is highly unlikely to have been an official adoption and there will be no records. Babies were usually brought up by other members of the family if the parents couldn't cope.
My mother was the youngest of seven children and was just a baby when her birth father died. His surname was Hoggarth. She was 'adopted' by other members of the family from her mothers side who had no children of their own. Her surname was then Garnett and that is the name we all knew her by.  Looking at her marriage and death certificates however, on both she is registered using her birth surname of Hoggarth.
This was how I was able to research her birth family and found a big family we knew nothing about.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information Stan. And Trishanne too for your reply.

I suppose he may have changed his name to Frampton by deed poll or maybe just assumed the name, and no one checked on these things in those days.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 October 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information Stan. And Trishanne too for your reply.

I suppose he may have changed his name to Frampton by deed poll or maybe just assumed the name, and no one checked on these things in those days.

Under English common law, a person may take a new surname, perfectly legally, without drawing up any formal record, provided that such action is not undertaken for the purpose of fraud of avoidance of obligation, etc. Deed Poll has never been required It always was, and still is, perfectly legal just to change one's name and notify all interested parties, provided there is no intent to defraud or other criminal intent .

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 October 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Interesting...thanks again :D

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 October 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked the 1911 census record again.  My mother is down as Eleanor Garnett adopted daughter. It also shows that her adoptive parents have no children.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:17 GMT (UK) »
This Frampton couple had no children of their own either. I've been able to pass on all these Rootschatter comments to my contact though. She did not know her ancestor had been adopted so it's got her interest fired up :D

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace 19C adoption TOPIC CLOSED
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of your for your posts. Much appreciated.