Author Topic: ELIZA POOLE b abt 1811 Chard  (Read 4761 times)

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA POOLE b abt 1811 Chard
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 October 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is......Joseph died in June 1844 and in his Will only mentions his wife Eliza by name and then his 'six infant children'. His address in Harmood St confirms the further research into the family.
So Eliza made her way to London from Chard, where she met and married widowed bookbinder Joseph when he was 32 and she was 23.
She was obviously capable of running the business after Joseph died and in fact two of her sons were very successful in this business.

I am intrigued to know more about her.

I am not convinced the William Poole I found in 1841 and 1851 census records is her father. Rachel Poole who was with William in 1841 has christening record on family search but Eliza does not.

:)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 November 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Rachel,

Can you please advise the occupation that Eliza recorded for her father at her second marriage?

I note that in 1841 the occupation for William POOLE in Holyrood Street, Chard, aged 63 N[ot] born in County was Shoe M[aker];  disappointingly his 1851 schedule is mostly illegible but he was recorded at that address in Pigot & Co.'s Trade Directory for 1830.

There is a Chard marriage by Banns 05 Nov 1800 for a William POOLE/Elizabeth CRIDGE, both of Chard Borough, followed by private baptisms of their son John 27 Jan 1816 and daughter Rachael 30 Apr 1818.  Sadly, John POOL [sic] aged 5 of Chard Boro was buried at Chard 15 Apr 1821, but there is no pre-1841 Parish Register burial record for an Elizabeth POOLE, or variant surname, although the NBI has a burial for an Elizabeth POLE [sic] aged 55 supposedly at Chard St Mary on 28 Oct 1832;  neither have I found a burial record for the late William POOLE of Chard whose executors called in debts owing to him in October 1851.

I have encountered an 1841 schedule for a William POOL, Cabinet Maker, with wife Jean at Crimchard.

Update:  FreeReg has the burial of an Elizabeth POLE aged 55 on 28 Oct 1832 at Bridgwater St Mary!   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 November 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately Eliza simply states 'dead' under her father's occupation in Feb 1853 marriage.

I found 1851 3Q death reg for a William Poole in Chard, which could be this William.

One website has actually transcribed his occupation in 1851 as cordwainer, which is fine.
I have tried to make it easier to read using photoshop and it is clearly cordwainer. His place of birth is more tricky but could be (?) Devon, Shottery but don't rely on that!

If this is her father then your details could be the ones I want but no direct link to date.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 November 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism at Upottery 29 Mar 1778 for William Poole, son of Mary CARTER, followed by a marriage 18 May 1778 between Thomas POOLE and Mary CARTER.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Guess that could be Upottery - definitely an 'ottery'…..many thanks for your input…..will follow it up.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 November 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Here's a clearer view, definitely Upottery

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 November 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - how did you do that?? :)

Just found a Miriam Poole Carter christened same date 29 Mar 1778 Upottery…….but still working on it.

Were the other two people with William on census of any interest?

Having found St Mary Upottery parish records online, I see Thomas Poole (butcher) died 1781 and Mary Poole widow remarried John Matthews, militia man the following year.

thanks for your help

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - how did you do that?? :)

Just found a Miriam Poole Carter christened same date 29 Mar 1778 Upottery…….but still working on it.

Were the other two people with William on census of any interest?

It's quite clear on both sites I subscribe to.

The other two are a housekeeper Ann Forsey, a widow aged 67 born Axminster and a visitor William Loveridge, unmarried, aged 50, born Chard, ag. lab.
Perhaps more interesting, William Pool is shown as Married, not a Widower, although there's no wife present.

David

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 November 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear the plot thickens as his wife, possibly Elizabeth, was not with him in 1841 either.