Author Topic: Burial place of Mary Thackwell  (Read 903 times)

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Burial place of Mary Thackwell
« on: Monday 28 October 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, some years ago I researched the Thackwell family but I never found the burial place of Mary Thackwell nee Hall about 3rd Qrt 1850 in Newport Monmouthshire.

At the time I checked the burial registers of the Cathedral St Woollas and also contacted the local cemetery but this did not open apparently until 1854.  The family were earlier in Cardiff and originated from Herefordshire, moving about with the railways up to Birmingham and then Openshaw Manchester.

If anyone could suggest other burial places perhaps chapels around Newport at around 1850 it would complete my info for Mary.

I am also seeking a marriage unfound of Joseph Thackwell or Thackway to Mary Hall first child baptised in Cutcombe Somerset 17 August 1828.

Thank you to anyone that responds in advance.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place of Mary Thackwell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Know this is an old thread, but have recently come across the Thackwell name.

Cannot help with the burial of Mary but am sure the marriage you seek, of Joseph and Mary Hall in 1828 (unless already found) is possibly on the link below - scroll to bottom.

http://www.tinstaafl.co.uk/eandwhmi/herefordshire/church%20pages/sollers_hope.html

There is a possibility that Joseph was brother to my x3 great grandmother Elizabeth born c1809 in Sollers Hope, Herefordshire. I am waiting for the birth cert of hopefully the youngest child to see if her maiden name is Thackwell.

Have you come across the Thackwell/Thackway surname as interchangeable?

Link to my post and connection
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858902.0

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cass

Many thanks for your interest in the Thackwell surname. I am delighted to find the marriage at long last, I have never found anything. I would never have thought of this place. So a big thank you from me.  I do have the surname further back as Thackway and interchanging, Joseph Thackwell would be born about 1804 and he was a ships' carpenter I dont know what happened to him. Mary Thackwell died in Newport, Monmouthshire and again not found her burial but I have her death cert. I contacted the archives in Newport and they checked all the chapels, churches, cemeteries and newspapers but again nothing for her burial.

So I am delighted I think this is the correct marriage. I have her as "Mary". The first know child was Jane Elizabeth Thackwell baptised at Cutcombe, Somerset. This again was a slow lead as on the 1851 census the place of birth for Jane Thackwell was put down as "Gatecombe". 

Would there be any further information further in the actual register do you think.

The earliest known of the Thackwel (as spelt) line is Joseph at Stoke Edith 5 Feb 1663 who married an Elizabeth.
Familes also around Mordiford and Woolhope.  I did have this tree on Ancestry at one time but have deleted it.  I may have put it on familysearch.org

Thank you again!

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Glad the link was useful and you have found their marriage. Thanks to Jonw65 for that link  :)

I am not sure if there would be more info in the actual register. It would probably say if they where from parish, but that does not mean born there, maybe just residing. There could be witnesses and if they where full age or minor. If they signed or made a mark.

Pre reg marriages did not hold a lot of info, but saying that would like to view the last entry on link given, in actual register, as I think it is my x3 great grandparents.

If I get this connection to my Elizabeth and she is a Thackwell will contact you to compare notes on what I find.

Seems you have done a lot of research on this family.  Possibly Joseph was her brother, do you have baptism or his parents?

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Can you believe I posted this in 2013!

I believe Joseph Thackwell circa 1804 is son of Joseph and Hannah Thackwell in 1841 at Garway Herefordshire
Joseph Thackwell married Hannah Colburn at Much Dewchurch, Herefordshire on 15 July 1793. He was bpt 1 May 1768 at Mordiford, Herefordshire son of William and Ann Thackwell (nee Lewis). Joseph Thackwell died 19 October 1845 at Garway Herefordshire.  Census 1841Garway Hill.

William Thackwell above bpt 28 Sep 1733 Woolhope, Herefordshire married Ann Lewis at Stoke Edith 16 June 1760. He is son of Joseph and Susannah Thackwel (nee Cheeseman)  I have four children to this marriage.

It is around this time you have to look at Thackwell.Thackway entries.

Thank you again!

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 22 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, will look into it.  Hopefully this birth cert ties it together to start researching the Thackwell/Thackway clan. Email should arrive early to mid week next.

Query: which of the children of Joseph & Mary is your line? Also have you had DNA testing? Just curious.

Glad to have been of some help, re: marriage.

Regards Cas  :)

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 February 22 20:56 GMT (UK) »
There's a merchant seaman's ticket for Joseph Thackwell born 22 Oct 1804 Ross, Herefordshire. First went to sea in 1849 as a carpenter. When unemployed address Newport. Ticket 227710 issued 23 May 1849.
He may have died at sea. Did the death cert for his wife describe her as 'wife of' or 'widow of'?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 February 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello both

Mary Thackwell died 6th August 1850 at Canal Parade Newport 45 years "wife of Joseph Thackwell shipwright"
enteritis certified.  the Mark of Maria Jones present at the death Canal Parade Newport.  I dont know who Maria is!

The tree is my partners and he had his DNA done!   

The line is through William Joseph Thackwell son of Benjamin Joseph and Matilda Thackwell, Benjamin is son of Joseph and Mary (Hall)Thackwell. Benjamin and family came up to Openshaw Manchester.  There will be links to this tree on ancestry etc.  I have been researching for many years.

Thank you to Osprey for the information about the Merchant Sea man's ticket information.Where he ended up again a loose end.

For Cass: How did you find out about your Thackwell at Sollers Hope and come across my link ?

Thank you to you both for your interest.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 February 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you look at reply #1, I gave a link to the thread I started trying to search for my x3 grandmothers, Elizabeth, maiden name, been looking for many years. 

Found the marriage and baptism on familysearch, but did not know location. If you read the thread it will explain all.  The link I was given also looked likely to include the marriage you were seeking, once I read your thread.

As for locating you, I searched Rootschat for the surname Thackwell and Thackway.

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire