Author Topic: John Pike  (Read 6179 times)

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Pike
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi was wondering if anyone could help, I am looking for John Pike b abt 1822   I have found he travelled to Australia (New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
about John Pike) Arrival Date: 10 Apr 1842  Vessel Name: Sir Charles Napier  Origin Location:
Lullamore, County Offaly a.k.a. Kings, Ireland which I am presuming is Tullamore. It gives his father as John or James and mother Annie who was listed as deceased.
John d.11-9-1893,Hillgrove,NSW.) family lore says that John and his two brothers were the'black sheep' of a well-to-do Cornwall family, they were put on a sailing ship bound for Australia and told never to return to England. John went to MOORABACK in NSW, another brother went to Richmond, and the other to Newcastle area.  JOHN married 17-9-1855 CATHERINE SHERRIF MacGRUTHER but no other information has been found supporting this
Any info would be good

McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline DF

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pike
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I’ve only just stumbled on your post.
My GG grandparents are John Pike and Catherine (McGruther) Pike.
They were married at Emu Creek NSW 17/9/1855.
John died 11/9/1893. Whilst information supplied by informants on death certificates can sometimes be heresay, it gives his age at death as 72 (born around 1821). The writing is difficult to decipher. It appears he was born n England and had been in NSW for 50yrs. His parents are listed as John, his mother’s maiden name appears to be McK????
Catherine Pike had been married previously to Thomas Workman (1848). I have no mention of the name “Sherrif” for her.
I have been unable to find any information about John Pike’s heritage or his arrival in Australia.
Have you had any more success since you posted this message.
Regards

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pike
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 13:30 BST (UK) »