Author Topic: Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and centenery of Gallipoli.  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and centenery of Gallipoli.
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
 I do think it a great shame that the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers is being disbanded.
 That`s putting it mildly.

At the very least the wonderful exploits at Gallipoli  when six V.Cs. were won "before breakfast" by  The Lancashire Fusiliers ought to have some sort of centenery  commemoration.
  The regiment should  not be disbanded before then .
 The recruitment figures are better than for many other regiments and the "family" feeling is  very strong.
 As a memorial to the young soldier so brutally killed at Woolich  it would be a mark of respect to wait a while longer( if it has to be done at all.)I am sure many others feel the same. Viktoria.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and centenery of Gallipoli.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate your sentiments but the fact is that the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers is NOT being disbanded. What is happening is that the 2nd Battalion will disappear. While that might be regrettable to many it just means that the Regiment will find itself in the same position as other single battalion Regiments, and in a better position than some former regiments. It is the inevitable result of a policy of reducing overall numbers but the fact remains that the identity of the Regiment is preserved. It could have been worse.
Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 21:12 GMT (UK) »
 I  did not understand that, I read about and saw on T .V the protests.
 I have to admot I do not  understand the set up of Regiments etc.
 I wrongly assumed the whole Regiment was to be disbanded.

It seemed a great pity. Thanks for the correct information. Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 November 13 18:51 GMT (UK) »
 An article about  Gallipoli in our local newspaper today.

April 25th 1915.  Proffessional pre- war 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

The V.Cs  were  not awarded individually but collectively to the  battalion in recognition of the bravery shown that day and the over 600 men killed or wounded. I did not know that.
 I live near Bury where the battalion were in barracks I beileve, people are very proud of them and there is a lot of anger at the disbanding of any part of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
On the day of the young fusilier`s funeral  in Bury the streets were packed with quiet respectful people.       "
 " He is one of ours", said it all --expressed by one respectful bystander. Viktoria.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 November 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
An article about  Gallipoli in our local newspaper today.

April 25th 1915.  Proffessional pre- war 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

The V.Cs  were  not awarded individually but collectively to the  battalion in recognition of the bravery shown that day and the over 600 men killed or wounded. I did not know that.

Not so, I'm afraid:  the awards were made to the six individual men.  An extract from the London Gazette of 15 March 1917, which reported the awards, is here:  www.grimshaworigin.org/Webpages2/JohnElishaGw.htm#Additional Information
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 November 13 19:41 GMT (UK) »
 cati--- I quoted from today`s Manchester Evening News:-
      " Such was the level of sacrifice,an incredible decision was  taken by the High Command: they would award six Victoria Crosses to the battalion.
        These awards were soon referred to as "the six V.Cs before breakfast" and in further recognition of the battallion`s efforts,the beach where they had landed was renamed ,and continues to be  known to this day as "Lancashire Landing".
However in a later paragraph it also says that one V.C was awarded to Sergeant John Grimshaw  of Wigan. So it seemed to me that they were awarded ,as it says to the battallion. But I was not aware of the full story and I`m sure you are so it`s a bit of poor writing  I think  on the part of M.E.N. I`m off to read it up on the site you kindly gave. Thankyou. Viktoria.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 13 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I think that the MEN article may have been either poorly researched or subject to some inadvisable editing.

Where a large number of men collectively performed a recognised act of bravery (as indeed the Lancashires did), the recipients of the VCs were chosen by ballot amongst the men involved.*  So the 'Six Victoria Crosses before breakfast' did in a way honour the entire regiment:  but they were not awarded to the regiment as a whole.

'Gallipoli' was one of the battle honours displayed on the colours of the Lancashires.

* The last time the ballot was used was following the Zeebrugge Raid in 1918 when, of the eight VC awarded to the Royal Marines, six were to men chosen by ballot. 
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 November 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
 I`ve tried to pinpoint but can`t quite(well not `til I  get new glasses) find the relative positions of Gallipoli,Dardanelles, and the site of Troy--Hissalik I believe.

Not too far away I should imagine. I have a lovely poem  ostensibly about Troy but really about  Gallipoli-- " And I thought of the graves by desolate Troy and the beauty of many young men now dust---". It makes me cry.
 Thanks again. Viktoria.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 November 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
There's quite a good map on Wikipedia.