Author Topic: George Vesey Allen died 1913  (Read 1014 times)

Offline malsie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Vesey Allen died 1913
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
George is associated with my family by his first marriage to Mary Francis Preston. He gave evidence at the Royal Commission re Ned Kelly. I have found several refs to him on Trove re twins; daughter; death; burial. But, his journalistic endeavours with the Daily Telegraph - though I have found his connections to travelling shows - are of interest to me. I believe he was at the seige of Glenrowan. Would love photos but can't find any. I believe he lived in Victoria, Australia, mainly.
with thanks,
malsie  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Vesey Allen died 1913
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Evening News  Mon 29 Sep 1897
PUBLIC SERVICE GAZETTE
Dismissed- — The Public Service Board has been pleased to approve of George Vesey Allen, lately inspector, Department of Charitable Institutions, being dismissed from the public service.

The Advertiser [SA]  15 Nov 1913
A JOURNALIST'S DEATH.
Melbourne, November 14.

Mr. George Vesey Allen, who was some  years ago a well-known Melbourne journalist, and at one time filled a responsible position on the "Age" literary staff, died quite unexpectedly to-night in the Melbourne Hospital after a brief illness. Up till Thursday night he was in his usual health, but about midnight he woke feeling very unwell, and Dr. Bage was called. He found that Mr. Allen was suffering from internal hemorrhage, and recommended his immediate removal to the Melbourne Hospital, to which institution he was admitted at 3.30 a.m. yesterday. At 9 o'clock to-night he died. 

The Argus 15 Nov 1913
 Mr George Vesey Allen, a well known Melbourne journalist, died with painful suddenness last evening. Mr Allen became ill early yesterday morning, but no alarm was felt until the last, although Dr C Bage had ordered his removal to the Melbourne Hos pital. Of late years Mr Allen was more associated with the management of indus trial exhibitions than journalism, his most recent undertaking being the Launceston Exhibition. His widow is a daughter of Councillor G W Knight, of Bendigo

From Paperspast New Zealand
Wairarapa Daily Times  30 Nov 1913
Mr George Vesey Allen who died in Melbourne last week, toured Australasia ahead of several musical stars.  His last tour was as business manager for Captain Amundsen, discoverer of the South Pole.

As you say, many lots of items on TROVE including his divorce.

ALLEN George V
Photo index 1888
Melbourne, Victoria
Source -1888 centennial international exhibition Melbourne: alphabetical listing of security identity photographs of staff, exhibitors, press, artists, etc.
Public Record Office Victoria: VPRS 840/P0 Units 1-4.
Author/compiler: Ackerly, Ada.
Unit 1 page 17 photo 531-6
Comment -   Situation: Press  Age; Position: Press

From PROV website

Copies of photos
The Public Record Office can arrange copies of photographs, but with their new permission for the
use of electronic cameras, it would be cheaper and more convenient for interested persons to
arrange a friend to attend, or attend personally, having pre-ordered the volume of interest.

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline malsie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Vesey Allen died 1913
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 02:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you, Cando,
he seems to be a fascinating bloke.
malsie  :D