Author Topic: Regimental Cap Badge Identification  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Regimental Cap Badge Identification
« on: Wednesday 30 October 13 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Can somebody assist me with a regimental cap badge identification please? I have a photo of my 3x gt grandfather who I know joined up in 1915 aged 61 and this was into the Buffs. On his military service documents though is mention of the Labour Corps. However, when I had a look online neither of these regiments matched the cap badge he appears to be wearing. Does anybody know which regiment that would be please?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regimental Cap Badge Identification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 07:47 GMT (UK) »
This type of bandolier was favoured by mounted regiments. It is similar to the badge of both the 5th Dragoon Guards and the 7th Hussars. Or it could be a yeomanry regiment which were part-time during peace time.

I would however question if you have the right man. The hat is post Boer War and he does not look 50. Or was that why he was able to enlist aged 61 as he looked young for his age? In the documents you have does it include his attestation form? As this should give details of any previous military service.

We need his name to do any more. And if records are online posting a link will help.

Ken

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

The service records for the man  I believe this to be can be found here: www.rootschat.com/links/0wod/
Apologies for the long link! (Shrunk down now by RootsChat Shrink Link: www.rootschat.com/links/ )

His name was Robert James Fisher, born 1853 in Wrentham, Suffolk. Ii know that he had served previously, in the 20th Hussars, but this was in the late 1870s and early 1880s as his wife gave birth in Cahir Barracks, County Tipperary in late 1881. By 1891 he had been widowed and remarried after his wife died in Canterbury.

The second marriage took place in Ashford, Kent, in 1890 and in 1891 he is a coachman living in Hastings. I've heard a family story that he was apparently a coachman for King George V but I am not so sure about that as his reign came later.

In 1901 he is a "General Carman" in St. Leonards, Sussex.

And in 1911 he is in the same place but this time listed as a gold caddie which matches his attestation form. I cannot find a death for him up until a possibility in 1947 aged 93, and have never found an obituary.

I hope that some of this might provide clues. Thanks for the head's up!

Cheers,

Matt.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 November 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
It is 5 DG :)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 November 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the 5th DG cap badge and it certainly seems to match. I've also checked for photos of men serving at that time (WW1) which seems to confirm too.

That is very surprising, and yet, given the gap I have in between Robert's terms of service (a gap which spanned 1884-1915, it would perhaps make sense that in that time he served with another cavalry regiment, as he was in the 20th Hussars in the 1880s. But that begs the question, why did he not say he had served in the 5th Dragoon Guards on his attestation papers in 1915?

I'm a little confused to say the least. Nevertheless though, thanks for confirming the regiment scrimnet. I'm just trying to figure out what other options I could take. I may well have to wait until I can view muster rolls at Kew!

Thanks again,

Matt.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I may well have to wait until I can view muster rolls at Kew!

They stop in the 1890s or sooner.

Ken

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 November 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Urrrrghhhhhh. I felt the breeze from that whopping door closing...