Author Topic: Is Leigh. Gloucester the same as Lea Bailey, Gloucester?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Jenny White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Is Leigh. Gloucester the same as Lea Bailey, Gloucester?
« on: Monday 12 July 04 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi :-\

Don't know Gloucestershire, but have traced some of my family back to this area.  They are from the Forest of Dean area.    Surnames are Griffiths from East Dene and MEEK.

Harriet Meek was born in Lea Bailey Hill, according to 1881 census (when she was married to James Griffiths).  on IGI I can find Harriet Meek born 1844 which is the right time but christened in Leigh.  Is Leigh the same as or anywhere near Lea Bailey Hill.

Any help appreciated, thanks,

Jenny
COCKSEDGE, MCINTYRE, WHITE, MARSH, CARR, HATTON, GREEN, GRIFFITHS, MEEK, PHILLIPS, GORNALL, TABERNER, FAIRCLOUGH, PANTRY, KELSEY, ROWBOTTOM, COY, DREWERY, ASHLEY, BINNS , SATTERFITT and many others. Main areas, Suffolk, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lincs, Gloucestershire, Staffs, Somerset and Ireland.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is Leigh. Gloucester the same as Lea Bailey, Gloucester?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 July 04 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

Have a look at the Genuki site for Gloucestershire (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Where/#L).  There is a page for Leigh, and one for Newland which comprises amongst others the tything of Lea Bailey (not sure if this is the same as Lea Bailey Hill).  They don't look to be particularly close.

I checked the distances with Parishfinder (http://www.parishfinder.co.uk/index.asp - it's a handy little tool for working out distances), and the distance between Leigh and Newland is just under 22 miles).

Hope this is some help,

Sasha.

Offline Jenny White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is Leigh. Gloucester the same as Lea Bailey, Gloucester?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sasha. :)

Have had a look at the sites you mentioned and have found some MEEK's and GRIFFITH's mentioned. 

Still not sure whether I am looking in the right place or not.  Looked at the 1851 census for Newland and it doesn't mention Lea Bailey at all.

Harriet Griffiths (nee MEEK) children were born in High Beech, Drybrook and Nailbridge which I now think are in the Mitchledean area.

Think I am getting "geographically challenged" now!!

Thanks again,  Jenny
COCKSEDGE, MCINTYRE, WHITE, MARSH, CARR, HATTON, GREEN, GRIFFITHS, MEEK, PHILLIPS, GORNALL, TABERNER, FAIRCLOUGH, PANTRY, KELSEY, ROWBOTTOM, COY, DREWERY, ASHLEY, BINNS , SATTERFITT and many others. Main areas, Suffolk, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lincs, Gloucestershire, Staffs, Somerset and Ireland.