Author Topic: ruth yemm  (Read 4050 times)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ruth yemm
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 August 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Part of my problem solved as company contacted me recently as they were trying to trace relatives so very excited as they will let me have all info they have gathered. It has enabled me to track further relatives and found Ruth to be living in Oldham before she died. Thanks to everyone for their help

Offline shind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:25 GMT (UK) »
13th December, 2014

Gill Edmunds

Lewis, Rivers, Phillips, Hind

I am in the researching my family tree and was wondering if anyone had memories of my family. Some lived in Eton Wick.

My family moved from South Wales to Slough about 1913. My great grandmother was Jemima Lewis. My grandmother Eva married my grandfather in Langley Marish church, her sister Miriam married John Rivers, three children Ivor, Doreen and Robert. Hilda married Albert Hind and they had a child George. Hilda later married Stephen Phillips. I believe that Hilda and Steve lived on Uxbridge Road, her brother Ivor had a daughter Ann.

I would love to know more about the family. They may have been involved working in nurseries around the area. Does anyone know if there were nurseries? Would be grateful to hear from anyone that remembers or has stories about any of these people.

reply from George Hind's daughter Dec 2015-  From Eton Wick family history website Berkshire www.etonwickhistory.co.uk - guestbook - HILDA PHILLIPS son George Hind (deceased 2010). He married Sylvia in 1971, had 2 daughters & lived in Slough all his life. Hilda Lewis (Hind/Phillips) did indeed live at 228 Uxbridge Rd Slough. Parts of Slough came under the Eton registration district.

Hilda & Stephen Phillips worked for Joseph Rochford & Sons Ltd which I believe was an agricultural nursery. I believe the cottages they lived in came with the job & the company was owned by Viscount Sidmouth. I remember Ivor & Mary Jane living a few doors away along Uxbridge Rd. Hilda married Stephen Phillips in St Mary's church Langley Marish Buckinghamshire  5th April 1947.

Stephen lived at 236 Uxbridge Rd.Bert Hind - Hilda's 1st husband died 27th March 1943 aboard the HMS Dasher (good book The tragedy of the HMS Dasher by John Steele). Jemima Yemm is buried in Stoke Rd Cemetery Slough burial reg no 1333 section NC no of grave 864 paid for 25th April 1944 £3 three shillings by Thomas George Lewis of 228 Uxbridge Rd.

I believed Doreen lived in central Slough until her death. Dad always said she had a family bible with a family tree in the front which my nan had for a while but I have no idea where it is now.  I also heard rumours that Hilda was a twin & her sister had died as a child? I hope this information is of some help to you.

Offline shind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
also remember cousins with the surname Thomas - a Glynis Thomas? with a daughter Sarah Thomas born 1970's? & some with the surname Morgan maybe an Mr M Morgan? & family - i believe they lived on the Wexham Court estate in Slough Berkshire (Upton Lea?)or near there near where Hilda Phillips lived - not sure if they were Hilda's family or one of her husbands relatives. Try SLOUGH (or some of the records came under Eton as the registration district until the 1970's) if you cannot find Berkshire try Buckinghamshire as the county borders moved. nearest library for electoral roll & records is Slough Library, 85 High Street, SLOUGH tel 01753 535166 www.slough.gov.uk/libraries

info from Slough Library Website below

Trace your family history online

Both Ancestry and Find my Past can be accessed on all computers in all Slough’s Libraries and have a wealth of information for researching your family tree. For more information on all our online subscriptions, including Ancestry, Forces War Records, and Find My Past, go to the online reference library
Family history resources at Slough Library

All Slough's libraries have a selection of guides and leaflets on researching your family history, but Slough Library’s family history collection on the 2nd floor has many more resources to help you in your detailed research. Find out more about Censuses at Slough Library, Parish records at Slough Library and Monumental transcriptions at Slough Library. See also below for information about what Electoral registers and other resources are available, and for details of Slough's archives.

In addition, we have a wide range of books to help you, from getting started to finding and using complex records, including books that show you how to track down ancestors from the West Indies, Ireland or mainland Europe.

If you would like help in finding information in our Family History collection or would like to make an enquiry, please contact us in person, by phone, email or online via the library contact form.
Electoral Registers

We have copies of the annual lists of those within a household who were eligible to vote:

Slough Borough Council full or edited registers 1980 to date
    South Bucks Council full or edited registers 1982-2001

For the full versions of Slough registers and Slough registers between 1948 and 1979 contact Electoral Services, Slough Borough Council.

Slough registers before 1948 are available at The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, Aylesbury.
Other resources

Transcribed records eg, Land ownership in Berks & Bucks 1873, Criminals of Bucks & Oxfordshire 1805-1816
    Our Local Studies collection is useful if your ancestors took part in a notable event in the area's history
    1994 edition of the IGI

Slough's Archives

Most local records before 1974 (except Slough Borough Council's) & all church records are deposited at The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies, Aylesbury.
    Most local records after 1974 & those from Slough Borough Council are deposited at The Berkshire Record Office, Reading.

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi sarah

I have sent you a pm I think with my email address as yes we are on about the right family. George your father was my mother's first cousin.

You may have got the name Morgan as that was my mother's maiden name and they lived in a place called Manmoel. My grandmother, Eva was Hilda's sister.

When I was young I knew all of your family. I would love to share more info with you.  Can you tell me your mother's maiden name.

regards

Gill