Author Topic: Robert Todd and Mary Asquith  (Read 8841 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Todd and Mary Asquith
« on: Sunday 10 November 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Can anyone help with the following?
Robert Todd married Mary Asquith on August 12th 1782 at Houghton le Spring. The marriage records state both of this parish. They had the following children: William Todd 12 August 1783 Houghton le Spring, Alice Todd 15 October 1786 Houghton le Spring, Mary Todd 12 August 1787 Houghton le Spring, Ann Todd 5 October 1789 Houghton le Spring, Elizabeth Todd born 12 April, baptised 21 June 1795 Sunderland, Sarah Todd baptised 1 September 1799 Bishopwearmouth and Hannah Todd born 5 May baptised 20 June 1802 Bishopwearmouth.
There is a possible death of a Robert Todd on 27 May 1815 at Bishopwearmouth (of Back Gars?), born 1756, and also a Mary Todd born circa 1760 buried 1832 Bishopwearmouth.
There are a number of Todds around Houghton le Spring from 1600's up to 1800's but cannot find a baptism for Robert? On IGI a Robert Todd was baptised on November 30th 1756 at Boldon, son of a Christopher Todd and Barbara Matthew which may be a possibility?
Cannot find anything on Mary Asquith at all! Her surname seems to have been spelt as Asquith, Askwith, Aswith, Ashwith, Asgrith and Askwit.
If anyone can help I would be most grateful! ??? :)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Todd and Mary Asquith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Alex,

Well I may be able to help ??? But a little bit of note checking may be needed. I have a Robert Todd born 1743 died 1802 in my tree. It is possible they are same person. The childrens names say an awful lot in my family who had been in Durham area prior to the 12th century.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
          Let me know how I can help? Also could you tell me what information you have on Robert Todd? I may have his burial wrong as I got the information from Familysearch and haven't had a chance to check the records myself.
Looking forward to hearing from you!!!
Thanks, Andrew :D

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Andrew, The Robert I have in my tree is a brother to one of my direct line of Ancestors. Several years back I went into overdrive in finding my line and came across many different families of Todd's in the Durham County. My direct line I persued but have not followed up on many of their siblings.

The Robert I have was the son of William Todd 1718-1785 and Jane Rowell 1718-1805. Robert was the second son after William 1741. It was a large family but the names you have rang true with my family line. Unfortunatly lot's of William's and Christopher's and Robert's ::) We still have some William's and Christopher's alive now.

I have not followed up on Robert 1843 but the family church was Auckland St Andrews and remained so for hundreds of years. Much of my research came directly from the Bishops transcripts . The information you have from Family search is it a transcribed record or submitted? The Roots of the family are around Byers Green area and go back to first written one about two brothers Robert and William cutting wood for the Bishop at "The Biers" around 1268.

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Just something I find unusual in you family of Robert, there is no son Robert, normally he would be second born son? That is if family nameing pattern is followed. Normally first son is named for Grandfather.

There is a death at Houghton le Spring of a Robert Todd 1838.

Neil

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
          Don't know if we have the right Robert or not?! I think my Robert was definitely born around 1756 and when he married Mary Asquith in 1782 it said both of this parish. Also they moved to Bishopwearmouth around the 1790's so I don't think we have the same one who died in 1802 at Auckland?
As Robert and Mary only had one son William I think I am stuck on the parents for both!
Will keep researching and get back to you.
Thanks again, Andrew

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Just as an aside Baptisms are not births just as Funerals/Burials are not deaths. They may be an indicator only as to the general area.

I have deaths at Stanhope and burials at Auckland StAndrews.

Neil

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms Bishopwearmouth:

Hannah Todd born 5 May 1802, baptised 20 Jun 1802 6th daur of Robert Todd, Mason, native of Byers Green by his wife Mary late Asquith, native of Sedgefield

The baptism for Sarah Todd states the same thing except 5th daur, no date of birth only baptism

Remember that just because a marriage said they were "of this parish" does not mean they were born there.  Of this parish means they had lived there some 3 weeks or something like that.

Janis

Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
It looks like we are tied via this Robert Todd. He came from a family tied to the Limestone mines in the close by areas around Byers Green.

As the family had already been in that area for over 400 years there are many branches to the tree and they populated heavily throughout Durham then England and eventually around the globe.

Around 200 years ago my lot up and moved because the coal mining was taking over the area first to America for a few years as relatives had previously left for there and then back to London then after the death of his father Christopher b1782 in 1847 they sold up everything and moved to Sydney New South Wales.

Regards

Neil