Author Topic: photo tidy request  (Read 567 times)

Offline Polin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
photo tidy request
« on: Sunday 10 November 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking through this section of the forum and am blown away by what great work people are doing here!

I have this family photograph of my great great grandparents with the girl on the right being my great Nan.

The paper is disintegrating and there are a few holes in the image, mainly on the right hand side of my gt Nan's hair and also a hole in her tights!

There is also some reflection from the glass as I dare not remove it form the frame for fear of it falling apart.

If anyone has the time I would love to see what could be done to tidy it up or add different colour/textures etc.

Thanks so much

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: photo tidy request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...stockings darned and a quick clean up  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
and with a different tone and texture.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Polin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thanks so much they both look fantastic! And such a quick response!
 I can't decide which one I like best yet but will go and have a look on my main PC so I can view on a bigger screen!

She looks far more respectable now her stockings are darned ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:36 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure...It would have been so much clearer scanned without the frame though  :-\
Carol

Offline Polin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are right but I too scared!

I am thinking of maybe taking it to a restorer who may be able to make it a little safer for me as the frame is weak too, it's quite a large picture taken I think between 1914-16 as I know the baby is my great great aunt Lil and she was born in 1913. How old do you think she looks? 1? 2?

I often wonder how much it would have cost them to have this taken at the time? I far as I know they didn't have very much money, they all worked as servants and labourers according to census reports. Perhaps with the threats of war looming they thought it would be a nice idea to have a family portrait?
Must work harder on getting my time machine working again so I can answer all these questions, and everyone else's too!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I think she looks about 18 months...It is lovely isn't it...I think you could be right about a pre-war photo of them all together and photographs had become much cheaper to produce by this time.
Carol

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi...Another for you.

Carolyn  :)
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Polin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

Wow that looks so different! I love it thank you so much. It's amazing how altering the photos in different ways always seems to bring out some new detail that I hadn't noticed before

Great work thanks again.