Author Topic: Suffolk Wills Pre-1858  (Read 905 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Suffolk Wills Pre-1858
« on: Monday 11 November 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me work out which Court I should be looking for for local wills (if they exist that is)? The villages I'm trying to locate Diocese-wise are Moneweden (Wilson family) and Easton (Dowsing families) Thanks.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Wills Pre-1858
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
You have three possibilities:

Prerogative Court of Canterbury (National Archives website)
Norwich Consistory Court (held at Norfolk Records Office)
Archdeaconry of Suffolk (held at Ipswich Record Office)

Depended on the value of the estate and/or where the property was held.

NCC Wills are indexed on NRO's website - http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/public/searches/nroprobate.htm

There are published indexes for Archdeaconry of Suffolk up to 1700 and after 1800, and other indexes exist but you'd need to visit the Records Office to view them.  The Society of Genealogists library in London has some indexes for 1700-1800 on microfilm which I think may have been microfilmed by the LDS.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Wills Pre-1858
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I've done the (obvious) thing and emailed the Suffolk Record Office to ask them.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.