Author Topic: William South, publican of the White Hart Inn at Stony Stratford  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William South, publican of the White Hart Inn at Stony Stratford
« on: Monday 11 November 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'd appreciate any information about William South who was publican at the White Hart Inn, Stony Stratford around 1830.

He apparently married Elizabeth Ward and they had at least one child, Martha who was baptised at St Mary Magdalene Stony Stratford on 23/Sept/1823.

I'm struggling to find any other information about this family but an particularly interested to learn about Elizabeth Ward as she was the sister of my 3rd great-grandfather.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William South, publican of the White Hart Inn at Stony Stratford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Northampton Mercury

Sat 19 Oct, 1839
BUCKS MICHAELMAS SESSIONS - October 16
John Gascoyne was indicted with having on the 3d of August last stolen a truss of hay, and Anne Paine with having received it knowing it to have been stolen. Thomas Ward. - In August last the prisoner Gascoyne was in the employ of my brother-in-law, Wm South, an innkeeper of Stony Stratford, who is unable from illness to attend..........
(found not guilty)

Sat 16 Nov 1839
DEATHS - On Saturday the 26th ult, Mr Wm. South, of the White Hart inn, aged 61

Northampton Mercury, Sat 16 Nov, 1839

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William South, publican of the White Hart Inn at Stony Stratford
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  I'd seen a similar account of the court case in an article in the Bucks Herald.  That drew my attention to the fact that William South was the brother-in-law of my 3rd great-grandfather Thomas Ward.

Previous publicans at the White Hart had been Thomas Ward and his wife Frances.  Thomas senior had died in 1809 and Frances died 1831.  They had four children including a son called Thomas Ward born 1787 and a daughter Elizabeth born 1792.  There's a Stony Stratford burial record dated 1814 for a Thomas Ward aged 27 years old.  I assumed that Thomas  and Frances's son had therefore died in 1814.  Neither son Thomas nor daughter Elizabeth are mentioned in Frances's will making me suspect they predeceased their mother.

Many thanks for the William South death notice.  I had seen a William South death index for the December quarter 1839 registered in Potterspury which I thought was his. 

Any leads on the William South / Elizabeth Ward marriage date would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley