Author Topic: 13 Princes Half Tide Dock Liverpool  (Read 5792 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Princes Half Tide Dock Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I would send for the will, but that's because I am, a very curious person, and like answers to my queries re family history ,  I wouldn't be happy with an unsourced answer or hearsay ,so go for it ,she was young ,where did she get the money from ,her mother perhaps, yes I followed Archie around from baker to publican, an interesting character indeed,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Its an admin not probate so wont tell you much more, I wondered where the money came from, its quite a lot for a 14 yr old

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this address, and why it would be given as the place of death for a 14 year old?

I have the death certificate for my great aunt, Marian Mortimer Sides, which says that she died on 29 September 1921 at 13 Princes Half Tide Dock.  The cause of death was acute rheumatic fever and endocarditis, and my grandmother (her sister) was the informant and present at her death.

I've tried googling the address with no success, and have no relatives to ask, although I do remember being told that Marian was "sickly" and had a "deformed" arm.  Their father was a publican, and they had previously lived at the Castle Hotel at 50 Regent Road so I suppose it's possible they were visiting someone at Princes Dock when she was taken ill?

The cause of death was a fever so perhaps this location was being used as a temporary fever shed? Towards the end of WW1 and afterwards there was a Spanish Flu epidemic so emergency conditions may have made it necessary to use other facilities. There was no mention of the Coroner was there? So it wasn't a sudden or suspicious death requiring investigation.

Blue

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
As there do not appear to be any houses at Princes Half Tide Dock, could the 13 be the number of a correction? In BMD registers all corrections of a minor nature occurring at the time of the entry have to be numbered, obviously to prevent someone coming along later and altering an entry. Therefore, in this case, the correction would have been made at the time it was entered and this is the 13th such correction in the register.  Just to clarify, corrections of errors discovered, at the time of entry, before completion of the certificate are just numbered and initialed in the margin, there will be no explanation.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I'll try and get the death certificate scanned to put on here, but the 13 doesn't seem to be a correction, and there is no mention of a Coroner.  The death was certified by F V Buxton, M.B.

Clara was 14 years older than Marian, and a school teacher, so I wonder if she had been putting money aside for her over the years, especially as she was "delicate" and wouldn't have been able to support herself. 

I'll send for the Will/Administration, just in case there are any clues.
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
If what you have is a certified copy, then the person making the copy may have assumed it is an address.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
With there being no mention of the Coroner we can assume that there were no unusual circumstances surrounding the death despite the place of death being unusual. Perhaps the location was being used as a fever ward as I suggested or the family chose to move her to this location because of the illness.

Blue

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this helps or not, but this is the Half Tide Dock in 1893

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this topic has run its course but, looking at the map on the last post, and refreshing my memory of when I worked round there it was not possible to gain access to the docks except by the gate in the very substantial dock wall.   These gates were permanently manned by the dock police, so I cannot see that they were on the dock, I am thinking that the younger one was taken ill near the dock gate or maybe at Princes Dock station on the overhead railway, they asked the dock policeman on the gate for help and were taken to the dock masters house, or piermasters house or the fire station shewn on the map, the younger one died there