Author Topic: Margaret Mary Howells in 1901/1911 census  (Read 2552 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Mary Howells in 1901/1911 census
« on: Tuesday 12 November 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Margaret Mary (“Peggy”) Howells in the 1901 or 1911 Wales census.

She married a Jack Smith in 1920 in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, and had children there. She later married a Dick Harrison in 1946 in Coventry. She emigrated to Australia in the early 1960s after her second husband died in Dec Q 1961 in Coventry aged 66. She died around the 1970s on the Central Coast of NSW, Australia.

Her mother’s name was Elizabeth (from her daughter’s memory) and I believe her father’s name may have been Thomas from an entry that may be her (and has no further information) in the NSW BDM online index.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Mary Howells in 1901/1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What year was she born as there are a number of births for that name in Glamorgan on freebmd between 1890-1902

The 1901 has only one match to parents Thomas & Elizabeth and she was b 1892

Do you know the names of any of her siblings?

Given the uncertainty about her fathers name, it would be advisable to buy a copy of her 1920 marriage cert which would confirm her age, fathers name and her fathers occupation.  With so many of the same name, you need to have some documentary confirmation to ensure we get the right family

Please note that Rootschat does not allow 1911 lookups
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355486.0.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I just rang my friend who I'm doing this for and he asked his mum some questions. She doesn't have the best memory any more but she thought Margaret's father's name was Thomas (I'm hoping not because it was suggested) but she was sure Margaret had four brothers. She remembered three names, William, Vivian and (?)Telwyn (not good with Welsh names and neither is my friend).

Couldn't get a precise birth year though she thought 1900 at first. The only Jack Smith on Freebmd for that period in Glamorgan is Sep 1893. Her second husband would have been born about 1895.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 03:51 GMT (UK) »
This lookup request can be cancelled. I subscribed to a paid service and found the family in 1911 so I should now be able to trace them back for my friend. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.