Author Topic: Request: Birth William LEADER 1804  (Read 8154 times)

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Birth William LEADER 1804
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi K

Just a bit

Try this - haven't listened myself but Charlie Haylock is fairly popular on Suffolk families/dialects etc at the mo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/individual/suffolk-edwardstone-haylock-charlie.shtml

K

Thanks for this. I haven't the software to listen to this at the moment, but even from the transcript I can see how interesting the dialect is.  :)

De
Leader/Leeder, Aldrich/Aldrige/Aldridge, French, Gurney, Horwood, Scott, Splan, Weston

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 05:54 GMT (UK) »
This could be your next generation back again

<snip>

See familysearch.org (but beware the spellings Leadir/Leder etc)for more of their children.

Thrandeston parish is on NW boundary of Yaxley very close.

<snip>
Prior to this there are lots of Leader burials in Brome, St Mary.  Again a neighbouring parish. 

K

This is invaluable local knowledge K - my thanks. The names ring some bells with some of the Canadian Leaders which I didn't think were related (see my previously referenced post).

I thought I'd tried every variation of spelling of the start/middle of the name, but I completely forgot about the ending!  :o

Best -
De
Leader/Leeder, Aldrich/Aldrige/Aldridge, French, Gurney, Horwood, Scott, Splan, Weston

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

Have found a few baptisms on familysearch for children of Robert and Margaret:

William Leader bp.18/6/1796 Suffolk (no actual place given) - must be the one buried 24/6/1796 Yaxley.
Sarah Leeder bp.7/5/1799 Yaxley
Susan Leeder bp.30/8/1801 Yaxley - must be the one buried 1/1/1817 Yaxley
Henry Leader bp.17/9/1809 Yaxley - buried 31/5/1823 Yaxley

Doing a search in just Yaxley between 1789 and 1810 it looks to me like the original records might be in bit of a state as some entries have no surname or parents shown which could be why there is no obvious entry for William although he would slot in quite neatly between Susan and Henry shown above.

Annette

Thank you for checking this out. I took it from the SRO's reply that the records were a bit fragmented - hence my appeal here!

I do appreciate everyone's help - informed speculation is very useful as although nothing is proven, quite a bit can be eliminated. It's really exciting to have possibly gone back another generation or two, as "1804" was it!  :)

chrs
De

Right - I'd best be off and get to work on this!

Offline De Tails

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 September 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
This is quite old now but as I now have a confirmed christening date of 25 January 1807 for William Leeder/Leader I thought it appropriate to update it here. Our family d.o.b of 1804 from family records and headstone may or may not be right, and the "really big subscription site" members who quote 1809 are not right, but the christening date is confirmed for 1807. The explanation:

"found via "qltn" on the "really big subscription site" shared 13 July 2016 who says "From the parish records of Yaxley Suffolk. 1806 was at the top of the page, 1807 looks like it was added after the recording of the next christening in January as seen in the image." 

The entry reads: "William son of Robt and Margaret Leader late Moy ditto [Jan] 25."

Wm Leader christening.jpg and 1807 William Leader Chr Yaxley.jpg (closeup)."

Unfortunately "qltn" is no longer contactable on the "really big subscription site", but the entry is consistent with microfilmed copies from Yaxley which I have sighted for William and Jane's marriage and other christening entries.

Once again, thank you for all your help for a stuck "newbie" - you were spot on and that gave me the basis to dig down for the originals and then on and on and.... you know! I eventually launched the first version of our family tree on the site in my sig file if you want to check out where it all led.  ;D

De