Author Topic: Budle Farm/Budle Cottages land Girl 1940-45  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Peterhastie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Budle Farm/Budle Cottages land Girl 1940-45
« on: Sunday 17 November 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I am trying to find out the residents of the above 1940-45,

thats Budle Farm/Budle Cottages, near Bamburgh, NE69 7AJ.

Unfortunately the farm, as a working farm, doesn't appear to have survived.

My Aunt was a Land Girl there during the war.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Budle Farm/Budle Cottages land Girl 1940-45
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 November 13 04:44 GMT (UK) »
The tenancy of the farm changes hands  a few times ,but I couldnt find who the residents were for your time period,

but I thought you may find this of interest ,
from the Leeds Mercury,

on the 12th May 1890, the farm came up again to be let, the tenant at the time, was Mr Thompson Budle Beeford, he will at receiving a days notice show the farm and conditions to let,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, when I lived near Budle it was about 4 to 5 miles from Belford where I grew up ,all I know about the land army is there was a building around where we lived I
The Meadows Belford this would be during the war . after the war it was occupied by Polish people who at that time were called Displaced Persons they worked on the land some had children who went to school with us .They were lovely people I remember they used to have social nights with food and they also had a band , so maybe your land army lady lived in The Meadows Belford Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 December 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aspin.

I couldn't help but notice your post as my great grandparents worked at Buddle for many years; but that was in 1908 onwards.

I also have a distant cousin whose grandparents were at Tynely - or whatever it is called next to Doxford. 

I mention this as I was trying to find out information about them.

There is a book that was published about five years ago which dealt with the Land Girls in the farms around the area. Some of them were based at Tynely.  You may find a copy of the book somewhere in a local library.  It may not be of any use but you may hit lucky.
JA.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 December 13 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank You that is interesting
At that time when while the land army and polish families were living in the hostel the care takers were from Wakefield they were called Wilkinson and we played with their only daughter A.. , Sorry won't add her name as she may well be still alive .As far as I know they moved back there after someone else took over the building .

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth