Author Topic: 1/5 York and Lancaster batallion 1915 - 1918 RESEARCH  (Read 1220 times)

Offline charlotte_kennedy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1/5 York and Lancaster batallion 1915 - 1918 RESEARCH
« on: Monday 25 November 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am a second year history student currently doing research on 1/5th York and Lancaster regiment, from when they were deployed into war in 1915 till the war ended in 1918. I am contributing my research to a centenary website next year commemorating the war. There is a film that is supplementing my research on the 1/5th York and Lancaster regiment marching through York in 1915 before they then went on to Doncaster. The film is six minute long and features hundreds of soliders. I have done different strands of research regarding this regiment, but I am looking for people who have relatives who were in this battalion. From any point during the war including if they were transferred in from another regiment later on during the war. In particular i am interested in people who have relatives who were from York or could be featured on the film mentioned previously. It would be great to hear the stories and history of family relatives who were in this battalion. Even if the slightest information is known a picture, regiment number or anything else I can help trace information for you and hopefully fill missing blanks that you may have in your research. It would be great if people who have relatives that were in this regiment would be able to share their stories.
Thanks
Charlotte 

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1/5 York and Lancaster batallion 1915 - 1918 RESEARCH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Take a look at this site and see if they can help you.

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000150-York--Lancaster-Regiment-Museum.htm

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at The Long, Long Trail website?
http://www.1914-1918.net/yorkslancs.htm

Lots of info there! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline charlotte_kennedy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hey thanks for the information on websites it is very much appreciated. I have looked on the websites that you have sent links for thanks.

Offline cashew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 November 13 00:49 GMT (UK) »
With a project such as yours, have you considered approaching a local radio station, or even local TV, they are often interested in local history stories, ditto local newspapers.

Good luck with your project.

Offline flushmal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
don't know how old these post are but my grandfather served in 1/5 York and lancaster regiment ,being awarded the MM while serving in this regiment . I have little bits of info ,no pictures though :( would love to hear from anybody that as got information .