Author Topic: 1841 census , Maidstone . please .  (Read 921 times)

Offline breac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census , Maidstone . please .
« on: Saturday 18 June 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello ,

Does anyone have access to the 41 for Maidstone please.??
have been trying for a long time to find a famly called Wise who were living in Union St Maidstone in 1838.. Father William and Mother Mary Ann ,daughter Emily born 1838 . I know that the 41 is a pain to check but I would appreciate any help .

Many thanks ,
                                                                                         Joyce

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census , Maidstone . please .
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 05 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've search Union Street for you (HO107/490 - found in districts 6-9) but haven't found any family named Wise. The census is difficult to read in some places but i'm fairly certain they aren't there.

Paula
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline breac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 05 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi , Paula,

Many thanks for your reply , I appreciate your input ...I know that the 41 is lousy in parts , I have it for Co . Durham ..

By the way , I have USA immigr. and other records if you're interested.

Regards  Joyce

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 05 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyce,
This may be your family on the 1841 census:
ref HO107 490-05 folio 15 page 20, Camden Street, Maidstone
William Wise age 65 farrier
Mary do age 30
Mary do age 13
Henry do age 11
Ann do age 9
Elizabeth do age 7
William do age 4
Emily do age 2
John do age 1 month
all born in county
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Offline breac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 05 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello , Carol ,
Thanks a lot for this info.....I'm quite sure that these are my people ... I have the mother re-married on the 51 , name of Buck....children Elizabeth , Emily and John with her ...

The enigma is William Wise (on the 41 ) head of house ..farrier !!!
Emily's father on her marriage cert ..William Wise Veterinary surgeon !!

There is a death entry on bmd William Wise 1838./39.. I thought that was her father (haven't sent for cert yet)..am now wondering if the farrier was her father ..on her birth cert his occup is cattle doctor !!!

The other option is that the farrier is her grandfather.....

Certainly something to chew over .......many thanks,

Regards , Joyce

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 05 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joyce,
I've double checked the 1841 entry, and I'm happy with both occupation and age for William Wise, so he could be Emily's grandfather, and the death entry that you found in 1838 maybe relates to Emily's father. The question then would be who is John's father, as he's only 1 month old on the 1841 census. Maybe Emily was stretching the truth a little, by giving her father the occupation of veterinary surgeon. It would be worth trying to find another death reference for William Wise in Maidstone after 1841, as this also may shed some light on the correct identification.
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Offline breac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 05 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello , Carol ,

Thanks for your further efforts.....and your suggestions..I see on the 41 the poor woman had 7 children and she only 30 or thereabouts!!! poor soul...Up until i saw the 51 I quite happily presumed that Emily was the last child ...born August 1838...father's death registered in dec 1838..Then I saw John aged 11!!!!

Her mother re-married in March 1846....

Cannot find another death for Wm in Maidstone between 1838 and 46 but that's only on freebmd...am going to send for the1838 death cert to see what's what !!!

Am also going to send for John's birth cert......

By the way , have you got the index for the 41 at all ?? I have a bunch of Taw
people in Chatham ...Naomi , a widow ....William and wife Matilda with sons , although the sons were registered in Gravesend....

Have done a fair bit of searching on Cityark ..a wonderful site and have found a few birth entries and a marriage entry....was well pleased with myself...

Anyway , Carol , many thanks for your time....much appreciated ,

regards , Joyce