Author Topic: 1911 Glossop, Parkfield House  (Read 6978 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Glossop, Parkfield House
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 November 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
It's great to have names, thanks for the help.  Hopefully I can link the Dearnaley's to the Mrs Shepley mentioned in the Kelly's Directory in 1941.  I had a question mark against a name people were unsure about Shapely? and Glossop.  This is the link to the house name, I wonder if Mrs Shepley was a Dearnaly?  Off to check it out.  Thanks again Fred
A mis-spelling meant nothing came up, but Shepley is a different story.

The House "Parkfield" brought me here, and all I had was Alice ? born about 1912.  The name Shapely? had led nowhere, I wasn't even sure if it had anything to do with the Alice returning from India in 1946 to live in Cardiff with her family, but you've helped make sense of it.

So now although there may be no direct link to the Dearnaley family (yet)  in 1911 the Shapley family are there William, Alice, child Mary, and daughter Alice a few months from being born.  The cotton trade might be the reason daughter Alice (almost certainly) married in India.  I think it's likely her father moved to India to grow cotton for some company?

More to find but many thanks.

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 November 13 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Been thro marriages and cannot come up with a Dearnaly splicing witha Shepely
regards
Westmorland

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 November 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
in 1911 the Shapley family are there William, Alice, child Mary, and daughter Alice a few months from being born.  The cotton trade might be the reason daughter Alice (almost certainly) married in India.  I think it's likely her father moved to India to grow cotton for some company?

New to the thread and I'm a little confused - where has this family been found and are they Shapley or Shepley?

Might your bride in India be the Alice Shepley of 13 Thistlebarrow Rd Bournemouth who was 25 when she boarded the SS Shropshire from Liverpool, bound for Cochin, on 18 December 1936?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 November 13 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The family are at 94 Glossop Rd in 1911

Yes I'm thinking that must be her, the Bournemouth address is odd.
She returns in 1946 as Mrs Alexander giving the address Parkside House, Glossop.  The youngest son is my step-daughters father, that's why my info was a bit thin.

Good news is I added details to the tree on Ancestry and now more information is appearing.  I can't confirm the 25 year old Alice sailing to India is her, but it fit's the story.
So others have confirmed the John W Shepley and wife Alice M Bramwell as my Alice's parents.
if that all makes sense.

If not cotton I thought Alice's father might have been a military man in India, Alice married a major.  I don't think I'll find out the link to the Bournemouth address.  I think my step-daughter will have to start asking questions if she wants to know more.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:41 GMT (UK) »
OK, so Alice's father was John William Woffenden Shepley who married Alice Moseley Bramwell in 1907.

John William Woffenden Shepley of Hillside North Road Glossop Derbyshire died (aged 42) on 23 Nov 1923 at High Elms Victoria Park Manchester.  Probate Derby 8 April 1924 to Alice Moseley Shepley widow and John Henry Cuthbert secretary to a limited company. Effects £20140 8s.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Alice Moseley Shepley of Plymouth Nursing Home Penarth Glamorgan widow died 9 July 1961.  Administration London 13 Sep 1961 to Alice Alexander (wife of Peter Alexander).  Effects £191 4s 2d.

Offline seekfam33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 April 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have just seen this thread today.

If RCB is still interested in info about the Shepley family from Glossop, which is a family that I know, I shall be happy to answer any questions.

Offline seekfam33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Alice Moseley Shepley of Plymouth Nursing Home Penarth Glamorgan widow died 9 July 1961.  Administration London 13 Sep 1961 to Alice Alexander (wife of Peter Alexander).  Effects £191 4s 2d.

AVM: Can you please explain the basis for your date of death (9 July 1961) for Alice Moseley Shepley? Because I have a death record for her that states she died the year before, in 1960.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:22 BST (UK) »

AVM: Can you please explain the basis for your date of death (9 July 1961) for Alice Moseley Shepley? Because I have a death record for her that states she died the year before, in 1960.

That post is a year and a half old - it was a transcription from the National Probate Calendar.  If she died a year earlier, perhaps an error crept in when probate details were recorded, but that is what it says.