Author Topic: Pengilly  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Judy Pengilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pengilly
« on: Saturday 18 June 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help me?  I have reached a dead end trying to search for my Grandfather.  His full name is: Frederick Cardell Pengilly born 10 July 1892 in Calstock, Cornwall, England.  Ellis Island Papers indicate he arrived in the US aboard the Philadelphia on the 26 August 1911.  I can track him as far as the 1930 Arizona State Census, but then he disappears, ideally I would like to find where he went, where and when he died, possibly with certification.  I'm new to rootschat, could the administrator please tell me if my post is on the correct forum?
Any help would be appreciated, Many Thanks, Judy.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Pengilly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

A warm welcome to Rootschat to you  ;D

Beginner's board is fine for your question.  Most often questions can fit on a number of different boards.  So this would be equally welcome on the Emmigrants board.

But for now we'll have a look at what can be done to help.

My lot never stepped out of their villages so I'm no expert  :-[

I had a look at the US 1930 census and saw a Frederick Pengilly bn 1892 in Miami, Gila, AZ.  Is that him?

I did a bit of Googling and found this...
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/item.php/2853.html

Don't know if it fits but I sometimes find to find elusive relatives tracking down their siblings can help.

There is a Frederick Pengelly who died Mar 1966 but his birth is given as 1874 and he was resident in Cranston, Providence, Rhode Island.

Is it possible he could of returned to England?

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Judy Pengilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pengilly
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, thank you so much for taking interest.  My husband's Grandfather has been a mystery we have thought about for years. 

That's definitely him on the Arizona Census in 1930, we have got him on the 1920, with wife, (Blanche (really Phillippa Mary Blanche Pengilly Nee Cole)) census, as well.  After their marital break up in or around 1930ish! she returned to Cornwall with their children (Frederick, Ester and Gwendoline) the son Frederick being Steve's (my husband's) dad.

Here's the real enigma.........Frederick, shall I start calling him Snr? Was born in Calstock, Cornwall in 1892.  Everything on that TITANIC website is him, no doubt!..... but it was not him! if it was, Steve would not exist!  I know Frederick Snr joined the Canadian Railway Troops, and served in WW1 (as indicated by the 1930 Census).

My thoughts on the fellow, Frederick Pengilly, that perished on the TITANIC are that: a.  Frederick Snr allowed a friend (possibly excluded from emigration) to use his identity (Frederick Snr was already in the US, he arrived on the "Philadelphia" in 1911 (Ellis Island records)).  b.  His identity was stolen? possibly for the same reason.   c. There was a different Frederick Pengilly, from the same town, with same parents names and the same grandparents names....... Highly unlikely!  Calstock is very small and the chances are minimal and not supported by the 1901 British Census.

A codicil to this Frederick Pengilly (TITANIC) is that his family never made any contact or claim to the White Star Line.... I think because the real Frederick Pengilly was not on board.

IT'S A MYSTERY!!!!!

Thanks again for taking an interest.  I am determined to unravel the family puzzle.

Judy and Steve Pengilly