Author Topic: SUTTON-BY-DOVER christening look up  (Read 425 times)

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SUTTON-BY-DOVER christening look up
« on: Monday 02 December 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the parish records for St Peter and Paul, Sutton-by-Dover, please? I am looking for the christening of Ann May born about 1780-1790. She married Joseph Dison Meecy (Macey) at St Leonard's, Deal in 1807 and in the 1851 census she was living in Walmer and gave her place of birth as Sutton.

Many thanks.

Betty Macey
Macey Bates McInnes McClymont

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SUTTON-BY-DOVER christening look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello mcmacey

Can't help with Sutton records but I can help with Deal and Walmer records if it's any use.
Joseph Dison MEECEY was married to Ann MAY, both of this parish, at St Leonard's church, Deal on 8th Jun 1807. Witnesses wre Charles RAYNER, Mary RAYNER and K. DOWDAY.

Ony one child appears from that marriage under trhe name of Meecey.
17 July 1808 John MEECEY was born to Joseph Dison & Ann.

Six children appear in St Mary's Walmer records, the earliest being 1812, under the name of Joseph & Ann MERCER: Ann, Eliza, Joseph Mary, Rebecca and Sarah. I have the baptism dates if you need them.
There is a four year gap between the first child baptised in 1808 at St George's to the next in 1812 at St Mary's. Not inusual, but I would have expected more children at the start of the marriage. They could have moved to another parish or just had a longish wait.
Is thre any doubt that the Joseph & Ann in Walmer are the same as those married in St Leonard's?

Please let me know if I can be of any further help,

Kind Regards

AJ

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SUTTON-BY-DOVER christening look up
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi AJ

Thanks so much for taking the trouble. However I already have masses of stuff  on the Maceys of Deal (and Mercers and every form in between of the name - it's actually quite a long story).

I decided to look at Ann May as she belongs to a branch of the family I haven't previously explored and these Sutton records seem to be missing from the Canterbury Cathedral online records, I was hoping someone might have a KFHS CD.

Thanks all the same,

Betty
Macey Bates McInnes McClymont