Author Topic: Alexander Aikenhead - marriage  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Aikenhead - marriage
« on: Tuesday 03 December 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have two marriages of an Alexander Aikenhead - 1740 to Janet Watt and 1742 to Jean Craig. Children found, were Margaret b 1744 in Blackland, Jean b 1746 in Headhouse, Agness b 1748 in Headhouse,  William b 1756 in Blackland - mother Jean Craig, and John b 1757 in Blackland. Blackland and Headhouse  are literally just across the road. I can find no other likely father viz. Alexander, in Lanark, Renfrewshire or Ayrshire. Possible candidates from Lothian. Should Janet have died eg  in childbirth, there is no record of such.. Have I one Alexander or two? Does anyone have any records to elucidate or suggestions. Thank you.
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Aikenhead - marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
There was only one Alexander Aikenhead in East Kilbride during this period so it would safe to assume Watt died he then remarried given all children were born post 1742.  As far as the farms are concerned many held tenancy at adjoining farms especially if they came from larger families. You might find that Alex's siblings were at these farms at the same time with their respective families.  We had three adjoining farms at Jackton, they moved back and forth depending on how large the families were and who moved on or died off.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Don. Just the answer I wanted!
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thats the exact same thing that I came up with when I put this website up, glad theres multiple people agreeing on this!
[Heres the website: https://sites.google.com/view/aikenheads-of-east-kilbride/home]

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 April 21 19:17 BST (UK) »
I'll reply to this on the other thread to avoid duplication.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=841277.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.