Author Topic: Forces War Records site  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Forces War Records site
« on: Wednesday 04 December 13 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone fully used this site?  http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/  I ask, as I've found a possible entry on their index that I'm interested in but I can't seem to see the reference as to where it might have been transcribed from.  It's probably a TNA reference as it's a service record.  Their collections list doesn't help much either  :(
What kind of information am I likely to see if I subscribe?  From what I've read on their site it would only be a transcription as opposed to the actual image?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forces War Records site
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 10:11 GMT (UK) »
hi jane
can you give us a name of whom your looking for and all detail of him please , I do have a sub with forces war records so can look up the record for you .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
hi jane
can you give us a name of whom your looking for and all detail of him please , I do have a sub with forces war records so can look up the record for you .
regards
trevor

Look ups not allowed according to their site (and thus according to Rootschat rules)-
"You can use the website for your own personal use, e.g: to research your own subjects. We are also happy for you to help out other people by telling them about this site and the type of records available, however we do not permit you to do 'look ups' or supply information, which is provided to you only on a full membership basis.
We reserve the right to cap, cancel accounts or otherwise limit access to anyone who breaches this clause."
http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/terms

Jane- if you ask for this thread to be moved to ARMED FORCES board there might be people who can help with your query about what sort of information you would actually get from a subscription.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.  It was a toss up between posting this query on the Armed Forces page or the Common Room.  Common Room won as I thought it would reach a wider audience,

Jane

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi jane

If you post the name, and any other details you have such as date and place of birth to give us a time-frame we can point you in the right direction as to where the best place for records may be.

ForcesWarRecords do have some collections not found elsewhere but quite often they either link to free sources or transcriptions available elsewhere.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Milly.  I'm looking for Richard Scholfield or Schofield.  According to two daughter's baptism records (1833 & 1836) he was in the 84th foot.  Both of these daughters later married men from the 84th in India (1848 & 1850) yes, they were very young  :(  Both of these men, one being my 2x great grandfather, were involved in the Mutiny.
I can't find mention of Richard on the medal rolls except one possibility, Richard Scholfield, pte, 97th foot, Earl of Ulsters.  He seems to have died 5/1/1859.  This is the one I'm interested in, although it's the wrong regiment he might have transfered.
On my next London trip I'll be looking at the pay & muster books for the 84th (WO12) for his details my only recourse at the moment,

Jane

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the FREE index of FWR - it gives date of 1857 which suggests that what they have is the Indian Mutiny Medal Roll for him (in the 97th foot).  It is usually a one line entry on a page with list of names, regiment, what the medal was for eg - at Lucknow and date of death if they know it
(Here is an example of what it looks like)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0x5j/

It sounds like you already have this though - is that right? Is that where you got the possible death date from? Or did you already have that death date from elsewhere?

I don't know if FWR have just transcriptions or the originals as I have never accessed it.
You can also find the same record at Ancestry (original doc) if you have a sub for that or access at your local library.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1686

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Movements of 84th Regiment of Foot in case you are interested

1819   84th Regiment of Foot (absorbed 2nd Battalion at Dover)
    1819   Ireland   
    1825   England   
    1827   Jamaica   
    1838   England   
    1839   Ireland   
    1842   Burma: Moulmein   
    1845   India: Madras   
    18??   Burma: Rangoon   
    1857.03   India   
    1857   Sepoy rebellion   
    1859.09   England   
    1863   Ireland   
    1865   Malta   
    1867   Jamaica   
    1870   Nova Scotia: Halifax   
    1871   Ireland   
    1873   Channel Islands   
    1874   England   
    1880   Ireland

Where were the daughters baptised? If it was 1833 and 1836 it looks like 84th was in Jamaica.
Or was it Chatham (there was a depot battalion there from 1834 - Provisional Battalion
organised at Chatham as the East India Company depot).
Not sure about 1833 (or 1832?)..

Milly

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
What does it say for father's occupation on marriage certs for the daughters in 1848 and 1850? and where did they marry?  Just thinking it might narrow down if he did change regiments.
I have just seen a reference for a Richard Schofield (No: 2019) who was in 61st of Foot and purchased his discharge 11 Oct 1850

Milly